Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The street advanced are just a bit over $1000

Spring rates are 6k front 7k rear

Maximum drop is around 2.2" all around.

Twin Tube internal construction
16 way adjustable dampers, compression and rebound combined
Larger piston diameter for strut type front and rear (22mm)
Ride Height adjustable via New Spring Seat design with a low-friction Delrin Thrust Washer
Powder coated damper body with ZT coating (inner and outer) non-welded threaded tube
1-year Manufacturers Defect Warranty

The TEIN Basic is a bit under $900

Spring rates are the same as the street advanced. Drop is the same

Twin Tube internal construction
Larger piston diameter for strut type front and rear (22mm)
Ride Height adjustable via New Spring Seat design with a low-friction Delrin Thrust Washer
Powder coated damper body with ZT coating (inner and outer) non-welded threaded tube
1-year Manufacturers Defect Warranty

Seems like the biggest difference is the ability to adjust the dampening.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For the extra $100 I rather get the tein street advance since adjusting dampening is important to me plus it's just $100.

·
Registered
128 Posts
But is adjusting dampening important on these cars?
It depends on what exactly you want to do . In my case I want to have my ILX slammed and a whole lot of wheel moment is not what you want when your wheels are so close to the body so thats where dampening comes in for me.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner.. from what I understand from the Civic owners the Basis come pretty squishy and if you don't like it, owell! I think for the average user that wants to retain ride comfort with a drop the Basis would probably be perfect, especially considering the average user doesn't want to mess with settings.

I like TEIN and am strongly leaning on their Advances

·
Registered
455 Posts
Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner.. from what I understand from the Civic owners the Basis come pretty squishy and if you don't like it, owell! I think for the average user that wants to retain ride comfort with a drop the Basis would probably be perfect, especially considering the average user doesn't want to mess with settings.

I like TEIN and am strongly leaning on their Advances
Thats what it comes down to, for the average user that just wants a drop, Tein Basics it is.

If you want to follow the crazy hellaflush and stance scene or plan on doing some serious tracking, you might want to consider dampening.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Thats what it comes down to, for the average user that just wants a drop, Tein Basics it is.

If you want to follow the crazy hellaflush and stance scene or plan on doing some serious tracking, you might want to consider dampening.
Or if you're just really picky like me :tongue:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally though I would wait a while until more companies come out with coilovers. The Tein coilovers under $3000 just aren't that great of a value. The quality is also questionable.

There are many cheaper options like BC Racing, Megan, K Sport/D2, ISC N1, Fortune Auto, HSD, Stance, Standard, etc, etc.

I am actually hoping Fortune Auto makes coilovers for the Acura ILX soon. They are likely the best out of all the asia sourced coilovers.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have heard questionable things about TEIN Basics but not the Basis or Advance since they revamped them. I dunno I am pretty comfortable with the idea and feedback they get but I do wanna see who else comes with them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner..
I wasn't exactly asking a question... more making a statement. I guess I should have come out and said it but I wanted to know why you would want an ILX with stiff shocks. Makes sense now, the OP wants to slam his ILX.
Coming from an integra that scrapped on the crown of the road, I love my ILX suspension stock. I want to go lower, but I dont want to sacrifice how smooth of a ride it is stock. That's why I asked.

Right now there aren't many options for the ILX so shock dampening is going to be pretty standard for awhile. You can go to Eibach and maybe get some custom springs. But anything from Tein or most any company right now is going to have a pretty average set up with not many options. The more expensive teins should go stiff enough Im sure.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Got ya, I hear the Basis ride about like stock but are more confident in turns (than the stock Si suspension) and give you a drop so if you don't need adjustments that's probably a good bang for the buck.

It's not confirmed for the ILX but D2 has a set for the Si and if it works it's adjustable in every way.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I want Function/Form to make a set up for the ilx. I got mine for the integra at a great price and Id love to do business with them again. They are semi local so I can drive down and talk to the guys who all know what they are doing when it comes to suspension.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Why don't you drive to them and get them to measure out a kit for the ILX? They would be one of the first. I'm sure they would like that.

DO IT! More coilover options for the ILX :D
THIS, obviously TEIN had some ILX's to work on cause the Evasive Motorsports ILX and the one TEIN posted on their site.. I have noticed there are several companies willing to work on the ILX they just lack a willing mule! Tanable is looking for one right now too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Most companies that care will go out of their way to locate a donor car. Right now youd be chasing shadows and getting your hopes up.
Ive spoken with a company about making rear visors for integras. Driving out to their shop 2-3 times at over an hour drive both ways isnt my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Werd, I hear you.. I dont think there will be a huge ILX specific aftermarket unless more enthusiasts pick them up.. it's the first year and I am pretty excited just for the fact that there are any parts at all.. it's to our benefit that it shares a lot with the Civic.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Contacting them never hurts. I am sure if they make coilovers for the 2013 SI it wouldn't take much modification to make it fit on the ILX from the manufacturers perspective. I'd like more options and TEIN is expensive for what it is. By the time I want to afford the TEIN hopefully other companies will have coilovers available.

I just found these:

D2 RS Coilovers for the Acura ILX

D2 Racing RS Coilover System - Acura ILX

Brand: D2 Racing
Fits: 2012+ Acura ILX
Part: RS Coilovers
Part Number: D-HN-25-1

Front Spring Rate (kg/lbs): N/A
Rear Spring Rate (kg/lbs): N/A

Just under $1000

They offer options for custom spring rates.

And I found this:

Megan Racing EZ Street Series Full Coilovers for the Acura ILX

$690 for the set

Megan Racing EZ Street Series Full Coilovers Description
Megan Racing's most recent addition to their expansive coilover kit line up is aimed towards the more budget oriented enthusiast, yet offers all the essential adjustments. These coilover kits allow you to adjust spring pre-load and your vehicle's ride height independently. By having the separate adjustments, you are able to dial in you car's ride-height and change the handling characteristics to your liking. Megan Racing coilovers also feature 15-way adjustable dampening. This gives you the ability not only to tune your cars handling but will also help soften up the ride for everyday use. They also went with slightly softer springs which makes them perfect for driving on the street. This can also help if you have a high horsepower car, as it will help keep your wheels on the ground and provide great traction when accelerating.

These Megan Racing Coilovers will surely upgrade the handling and performance on your vehicle. Whether you drive on the track, or want the adjust-ability that full coilvoers offer at an affordable price, these coilovers are made to perform without a compromise in quality.

Key Features:

15 Levels of Dampener Adjustment
Includes rubber boot dust covers.
Monotube design for better heat dissipation.
Comes with 1-year manufacturer-defect warranty.
Independent "Spring Preload" and "Ride-Height" adjustment.
Conservative spring rates that work well for daily use.

another from Megan Racing

Megan Racing Street Series Full Coilovers for the Acura ILX

$877 for the set

Megan Racing Street Series Full Coilovers Description
Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers are always a good upgrade for any car. Whether you are looking to better the handling characteristics of your car, or just want to lower it as much as possible, these Street Series Coilovers are extremely versatile and are infinitely adjustable. With moderately stiff spring rates, they can help drastically reduce body roll while still making them manageable for street use. One of the key benefits these coilovers provide is the dampeners they use. Tailored specifically per application, they can provided excellent grip, crisp steering and a stable ride. Also, with 32 Levels of dampener adjustment, they can quickly be adjusted for differing road surface conditions or even soften them up for the drive to the grocery store.

All of the Street Series Coilovers use a "Monotube" shock design for a more direct suspension feel and better heat dissipation for those spirited drives down the canyon. The brackets are made from either high quality aluminum or high grade steel made to last, and feature fully adjustable pillow-ball camber plates on MacPherson Strut style suspensions.

Key Features:

32 Levels of Dampener Adjustment
Includes rubber boot dust covers.
Monotube design offers quick responsiveness and better vehicle control.
Comes with 1-year manufacturer-defect warranty.
Independent "Spring Preload" and "Ride-Height" adjustment.
Moderate Spring Rates make them great for the track and spirited street driving.
Pillow-Ball Upper Strut Mounts with adjustable camber on select applications.

Pillow-Ball Upper Mounts: These are included on select applications. They will help tighten up your ride and give you quicker steering response. Also, they also have a built-in camber adjustment plate so you can quickly and easily dial in camber to your liking.

Front Upper Mounts: CP
Rear Upper Mounts: Reuse OEM

CP = Aluminum Camber Plate, PBM = Pillowball Mount, TM = Aluminum Top Mount

The D2 Racing Sports (RS) coilovers system gives car enthusiasts the ability to fully customize their suspension system for their 20112 2013 Acura ILX. These coilover systems come with a fully adjustable 36-way monotube dampening system and car-specific spring rates ranging from 3 to 22 kg/mm. Ride height adjustments can be made easily with the incorporated Teflon coated spring perch and allows for vehicle drop of up to 120mm on most applications. In addition, select D2 Racing Sports coilover systems also allow users to make camber adjustments with the included 6061 powder coated aluminum camber plates and upper pillow ball mounts.

All D2 Racing Sports coilover systems are CNC machined to meet high quality standards and are fully rebuildable and serviceable in the United States. With the D2 Racing Sports Coilovers, all suspension components are included in the coilover kit. Suspension components don’t have to be purchased separately, eliminating compatibility issues between spring and shock. Every D2 Racing Sports coilover system comes with a limited 1 year warranty.

D2 Racing Sports Coilovers System Features:
- 36-Way adjustable rebound and dampening
- Monotube high pressure design for fade free performance
- Custom spring rates from 3 to 22 kg/mm
- Teflon coated spring perch
- Vehicle drops of up to 120mm, 90-100mm on some applications
- 6061 powder coated aluminum camber plates and upper pillow ball mounts
- Includes keys for ride height adjustment
- CNC machined
- Fully rebuildable and serviceable in the United States
- 1 year limited warranty

D2 Racing RS Coilover Kit Contents: