Acura ILX Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Acura Dude...see my post above. I tried replacing my stock speakers with Alpine SPS speakers, and the sound deteriorated. I was basically told by my local car audio shop (as well as others on this site) to not even consider trying to replace the stock speakers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Acura Dude...see my post above. I tried replacing my stock speakers with Alpine SPS speakers, and the sound deteriorated. I was basically told by my local car audio shop (as well as others on this site) to not even consider trying to replace the stock speakers.
do you know what speakers come stock? just curious so i can start looking into them just to see how good or bad they are

·
Registered
67 Posts
im thinking about replacing mine with alpine type-R's. And i wanna crank up the stock sub or figure a way to wire a new one in, seems a little weak to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had an 07 Civic Si with a premium similar to the ILX's I didn't want to change my HU but wanted better sound, I ended up getting a custom amp bypass harness created by a member on another Acura forum, the harness hooked into the input harness that went into the external amp and had RCA outputs, the signal outputted was a balanced one so only amps such as JL Audio which could handle a balanced input signal would work. I had that setup for at least two years with no issues. I was able to use any aftermarket speakers that fit, 6.5“ components and a 10" sub I didn't see the need for rear fill I also ended up installing an Audiocontrol unit for better equalization. I'm thinking that the premium system is almost identical to the Civic's so a harness such as this might work for the ILX

Pic of harness

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2013 ILX with the Tech package, including the 5.1 sound system. I'm pretty much an insufferable audiophile, and can't imagine that upgrading the speakers would improve the sound. It is terrific.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The tech package ELS system is much improved over the Premium system with the 7 speakers so really no need to upgrade that system IMO, but the premium system, even with it's 360 watts needs a little more oomph to me
Just converted another friend to and ILX after they drove mine again. She owned a 2006 Jetta. She wanted a stick so....2.4 Premium in blue, she brought home and loves. I noticed the difference in the Stereo right away when leaving the dealership. I have the ELS system. Wouldn't tweek mine at all, but hers just seems like something is missing.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Acura ILX, red. Upgrades: rear spoiler, factory auto start
23 Posts
Change in OHM you have to calculate the change in power; the stress stays the same the Resistance is raised so the amp works just as hard. Goodluck with your install regardless.

Dynamat will trump any speaker modification you can make; that's a 100% guarantee.. unless you're just looking for more noise.

As far as removal of the dynamat.. I am not sure the Dealer would need to know and the residue can be removed easy enough.. just a little elbow time.
Are you talking about removing road noise and rattles is a game changer? I see versions of that stuff everywhere, but never considered it.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts