Acura ILX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also very interested in doing an audio overhaul. FWIW, I contacted Crutchfield, and they told me they have not gotten their hands on an ILX and not to expect any measurements or info for at least a few months.

I've got a premium package ILX, does anyone know if there's a line-out/separate amp setup with this package or if we're stuck with speaker outs?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
So.. here's the good news.. bought Dynamat at 50% off w/ free shipping.

The bad news.. I still bought $212 worth! AHH

Will be looking to do a write up on the door removal and dynamat installation. I think it will be the first :taz:

·
Acura ILX Forum Admin
135 Posts
So.. here's the good news.. bought Dynamat at 50% off w/ free shipping.

The bad news.. I still bought $212 worth! AHH

Will be looking to do a write up on the door removal and dynamat installation. I think it will be the first :taz:
That would be awesome!

·
Registered
38 Posts
has anyone thought about replacing the stock subwoofer? i have the ilx dynamic and i would like more bass but i dont want to put a big box in my trunk, does anyone know if theres a better option for an 8" replacement subwoofer that will run off the amp thats already there? or maybe i can just replace the amp and add a bigger sub?
Any input would be great
sorry to thread jack :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
has anyone thought about replacing the stock subwoofer? i have the ilx dynamic and i would like more bass but i dont want to put a big box in my trunk, does anyone know if theres a better option for an 8" replacement subwoofer that will run off the amp thats already there? or maybe i can just replace the amp and add a bigger sub?
Any input would be great
sorry to thread jack :D
I know Pioneer has a new 10 inch shallow mount sub that might fit where the 8 inch goes without much difficulty, but not sure how it would hook up. Would require some splicing and a wiring diagram

·
Registered
38 Posts
well im not sure if a 10" would fit in the 8" hole. and i dont think the shallow part doesnt matter that much, i just dont want a big box in my trunk plus amp and all that.
and im not sure if the stock amp would support an aftermarket sub?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
well im not sure if a 10" would fit in the 8" hole. and i dont think the shallow part doesnt matter that much, i just dont want a big box in my trunk plus amp and all that.
You can sand it out to make it wider.. basically use the template the speaker comes with. (if space on the brace allows)

Typically this ends with a poor sound and/or a quick failure of either the speaker or amp.

·
Registered
128 Posts
10 inch shallow mount air free subwoofer and an aftermarket amp is the way to go, it's going to suck having to run wiring for the AMP but once done you'll probably love how everything sounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey trentimus- really good info there on the dynamat, I plan on starting there now myself. Did you ever finish your project and write up the door removal and dynamat installation to share? As a few have already stated, pics and a step by step would be really helpful!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I went back and forth with the dealer on how I could possibly upgrade my ILX Hybrid base stereo...bottom line answer is, I couldn't add an external amp because there are no outputs, and they had no recommendations on any speakers that might be a good match (including other higher end ILX speakers). This was the response from Acura corporate:

We appreciate your Acura ownership and the opportunity to respond to your inquiry. Please accept our apologies as we are unable to recommend modification of your vehicle from the original manufactured equipment. In addition, we are unable to offer technical support pertaining to your inquiry. You have the option of speaking with an Acura dealership in your area regarding any available information they may offer.

If you have further questions or comments which we may address, please do not hesitate to contact us. You are also able to reach us at #800-382-2238, option #6 or on Twitter @AcuraClientCare.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations

Based on Trentimus' detailed outline, I did successfully dismantle the front doors in about five minutes...and found two pretty cheap looking speakers. I attempted to replace the main drivers with a pair of 6.5" Alpine speakers I had from an older vehicle...however, the system lost its balance...the individual speaker sounded better, but the overall soundstage deteriorated. So, back in with the stock speaker. I may try ordering some of the "premium" ILX speakers to test and see if that provides any improvement. They dont cost much, only about $50 from some Acura online parts store.

Also, while i had the door dismantled, I added some old t-shirts and stuffing (from a stuffed animal) to the gap in the door frame behind the speaker. I stuffed as much as I could in there, and this provided a nice little boost to bass output from the stock speaker...good cheap tweak for anyone interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jalopnik listed aftermarket audio systems as a technology that isn't worth it anymore. Standard audio systems are quite good now. Some people want to shake the entire street will bass, or have people in the town over hear what song they are listening to, but as far as the actual sound quality most stock speakers that come in cars are pretty good.

Just my 2 cents.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts