Acura ILX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, looking to buy a brand new 2019 car as an upgrade from a 2004 Civic Si. I've ended up debating between the Honda Civic Hatchback or Acura ILX. Right now for me, the Premium ILX trim is inbetween the prices of the Sport and Sport Touring Civics (I'm in Canada and I believe the Sport trim is a bit different here low cost color copies online near me).
I'm looking for thoughts from people who have recently bought a 2016+ ILX on why they chose that car over a Civic. I'm sure as you know, there's a lot of hate for the ILX since it's based on the older Civic platform. I figured I'd try to seek thoughts from real owners :)
Thanks so much in advance guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a '19 ilx a-spec while my sister owns a 2017 civic rs (sport touring but for the EU market). Having driven both, I can tell you honestly that the ilx is the more enthusiastic drive. The fact that it is based on the older civic platform is a blessing, not a curse. The engine sounds quite pleasant and you will be hitting redline quite frequently just to hear the vtec. Every journalist complains about the interior, the dual displays in particular. However, in my opinion, the two screens really help in terms of switching music/radio on the go without hampering the map. It does look a tad dated to be completely honest, but again it's form over function I guess.

The civic is the more spacious car. And probably the better commuter as well due to its superior fuel efficiency. Rear head/leg room is also leagues better than the ilx. But that is pretty much where the advantages come to a halt. The engine is a disgrace; it sounds like a vaccum cleaner and feels like one too. There is also quite a bit of turbo lag, which is expected. Especially coming from an 04' Si, you will be left wanting. One advantage is the newer style gauge cluster which is fully digital compared to the semi digital but sportier ones found in the ilx. It offers more detailed info and looks nicer than the ilx. While spacious, the seats themselves are made with a lower grade leather compared to the milano leather found on the ilx. I have mine specced in red leather with black inserts which look stunning.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your preferences and needs. If you want a more handsome car that will stand out and demand double takes, go for the ilx. If you want a better commuter car to get you from point A to point B, go for the civic. The ilx will bring you more smiles per gallon while the civic will get you more miles per gallon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts