Acura ILX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive used Seafoam on used cars before and I know they do make a difference on older cars. But for new ones, do they actually have any real benefit? Maybe something like preventing gunk from building up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
its only used to clean up gunk. if anything you can probably use it after 1000 miles after you break in the engine just to clean up any gunk there caused by the break-in period.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So it just cleans up the dirty engine. Sounds like its only good on higher mileage engine. That explains all the smoke I see in the Seafoam videos on youtube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll just stick to using it on higher mileage vehicles. I just enjoy watching the smoke show that you get when you use it. Hahahahaha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Use seafoam to clean gunk in your crank case which forms on cold non wear surfaces....
Circulate that same gunk through oil passages and risk loosing lubrication to a main or rod bearing...

makes sense to me. =\

Run your engine on cycles that aren't all stop and go and change your oil regularly, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure if seafoam is such a great idea. Really depends how you use it and where. If you use it in your crank case it could casue build up on your spark plugs and o2 sensors. this would be more suitable for older cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There's nothing to clean in a new engine
So true, there's nothing much to be done really. Even on cars with thousands of miles without any "cleaning" can run perfectly fine. All you really need to do is keep changing your oil.

I have used this product on cars with 150k miles and it seems to have made a difference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So true, there's nothing much to be done really. Even on cars with thousands of miles without any "cleaning" can run perfectly fine. All you really need to do is keep changing your oil.

I have used this product on cars with 150k miles and it seems to have made a difference.
The best thing to do for cleaning the engine is to perform an oil change for the first time. That where you will find the most metals from the break in period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts