Acura ILX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now for the most important part of the vehicle, you better love your interior because its the most seen part of you vehicle, from your eyes at least. The CLA brings a quality to the entry level luxury game that I'm not sure the Verano and ILX can match....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
VERANO

The Veranos interior is put together nicely despite being a GM vehicle. The Verano has borrowed heavily from its older brothers LaCrosse and Regal. P.S the Verano Turbo is actually faster than the Regal GS...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CLA:

As Expected the CLA is dressed far nicer on the interior than its two competitors. The Leather looks butter soft, the center stack gleams and there are buckets all the way around, even in the rear. My one complaint is the glued on look of the nav screen. MY favourite part has to be the retro looking gauges...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ILX:

The ILX is a Honda product and you can tell. The Interior is uninspiring and rather bland for a luxury vehicle. The black plastic dash looks awful with the pseudo tan buckets...If Acura wants to be taken seriously as a luxury brand they really need to step their game up. Unfortunately i feel Acura has slipped from the peripheral Luxury brands into something not quite mainstream but not quite upscale, almost the territory Mercury and Pontiac were in before catching the axe... Right now i honestly feel that the three germans form the luxury core, with cadillac, Lexus and Infiniti a step outside, Lincoln and Buick 2 steps outside and then Acura...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I hate you already.
Lets really quick compare an economy brand with a luxury brand. Lets compare apples and oranges shall we? I wonder how bad a fish will fail if I judge it by how far it flies?

The CLA uses precious materials... or should if its a mercedes. Acura uses common materials.

And if you ask me, the Acura looks horrible with its huge button. The Merc looks tacky as hell with those X air ducts. Verano wins in elegance. ILX>CLA interior minus materiels used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is the big button on are dashes cheap looking and has cheap feel.. yes it does. I just drove the new MDX and they have done a great remake of it. Put more of the newer Acura advancements in the ILX and it will do better. The air vents and fake metallic trim needs to have a more quality look to it as well, it Screams Civic. Will an Acura meet the quality and feel of a Merc or BMW I don't know for an entry level car.

But I have to say, I drove the Verano and I bought the ILX for its technical advances such as being a Hybrid and how it drove and looked. Just food for thought.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when did acura become an economy brand, as far as ive always known Acura they were the LUXURY division of honda.... I dont see how the two vehicles can't be compared, both can be had for a ballpark of $30k although for $30 the Acura comes with much better standard features, I'm not sure where thats incorrect...

the CLA is a cheap mercedes engineered specifically to get into the entry level luxury segment, the Verano and ILX are both entry level luxury...

If you click through my other threads you'll find out I compared the CLA 250 with an ILX Tech and a Verano Turbo, so its not as skewed as you would like to think..

·
Registered
12 Posts
The CLA's display screen looks like an IPAD mounted to the dash and the interior you are showing in your pictures is not a standard feature but a $1500 add on for leather trim. IF you were to try and build a CLA comparable to ILX Tech package you would be paying 7k-8k more. I'd take the ILX every time. Just like the ILX is a "luxury civic" the CLA looks like a Volvo knock-off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Acura is not an economy brand. And neither is Buick or Mercedes so i am not sure why you are so up in arms. These vehicles are relatively similar in price and could be cross shopped.

The ILX isn't terrible but it also isn't as nice as the Buick or Mercedes. I think that the Verano has the nicest interior. And BTW, the Buick is a less luxurious brand than Mercedes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luckily I have some!

But the cost of owning a CLA vs ILX comes down significantly when you consider the type of warranty Mercedes Benz offers, Acura has no chance of competing. Especially if the CLA is leased you wouldn't have to worry about maintenance for the duration of your ownership, Mercedes warranty even covers oil changes and minor maintenance.

CLA pricing isn't available in my neck of the woods yet but i expect lease/finance rates to be relatively comparable to the ILX and Verano. For $35k I would rather drive a purpose built Mercedes than a $20k Civic dressed in fancy clothes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
An extra 6k-7k for a couple years supply of $20 oil changes? hmm interesting. 35K is a generous/stretch price if you plan to get all the options/accessories you can get for the TECH package. You have a lot of faith in the CLA
for being a new car that is unfamiliar with the entry level sedans. I would want to wait until the CLA has been in the market for bit before I speak highly of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"For $35k I would rather drive a purpose built Mercedes than a $20k Civic dressed in fancy clothes."

Alright, Lilly, this is where you lost me. You just argued that the ILX is NOT an economy brand and that it carries enough luxury for your taste to compare it to the likes of the Mercedes CLA. Now you're demoting it down to a Civic in fancy clothes.

$35k vs $20k <- that's the price difference you quoted between the CLA / ILX; there's $15K between the two which can almost bag you an actual Honda Civic on top of the ILX, by your calculations.

As far as "purpose built" both cars carry the same purpose. All brand new Acuras never dipped down into the $20K range until the ILX and no brand new Merc dips into the low $30K's before this CLA comes out... both brands are reaching for younger buyers that would otherwise not be able to afford the trims in their current respective lineups.

But the interior? I whole-heartedly feel the interior of the the CLA is better (no suprise here, rarely has the interior quality of an EDM luxury car lose to a USDM or JDM interior)But just drop the pseudo-insults towards the ILX, on an ILX Forum. Lest you are a troll, in which case, troll on.

I actually like the CLA... I think it's got a good formula to catch a lot of buyers in the entry luxury small car segment... it's just not enough to make me run and trade in the ILX.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Acura isn't an economy brand, but the ILX is still a Civic in fancy clothes I dont understand what is wrong with that statement... Its probably also the biggest argument against the ILX.

as for ilxluv i wanted to see if ILX owners could defend their vehicle in an intelligent manner, maybe provide some insight into what living with the vehicle is actually like. The fact that you get so touchy about the ILX makes me think you may be a little self conscious about your purchase if not downright regretful you couldnt have the CLA.

As for being purpose built the new Civic was developed and then the ILX debuted a year or two later, not purpose built by my definition... Mercedes has had vehicles dipping into the $30s before the B class in NA was cheap and Europe has had the B class along with the cheaper A class for several years now...

P.S I've asked the same questions to a CLA forum and many have been favourable to the ILX. I'll buy whats best, I was only hoping the forum could provide some intelligent feedback instead of groaning that someone else has more money to spend, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a problem with just that statement because if you truly felt that the ILX was just a Civic then it wouldn't be good enough to do a comparison with the CLA, correct?

You went from making points about how the CLA interior is better than the ILX (which I agree with) to straight calling the ILX just a civic, which I figure you were trolling for an angered response.

Both cars suit different needs, especially in the price department. We can go on forever about overall cost of ownership and the benifits of both after five years in mileage and maintence and ultimately living with a car that can hit 200k miles.

And Mercs dipping into the low 30k's in pricing, yeah, not the Mercedes Lineup they offer in the U.S. NOW (take a look at their current website); hence, the need for the CLA; then there's acura, which the ILX was born to hit the $20k mark... that's the reason it exists... both companies didn't create anything revolutionary here.

I for one don't regret the purchase, hence, I said I wouldn't be running out to trade for the CLA when it comes out.

I do think Lilly, that there was some harshness towards you, but like I mentioned before: you're in an ILX forum, pretty much calling the ILX a Civic. You do know they did more than just slap an ILX shell on top of a Civic, right?

·
Registered
60 Posts
haha you should also go to the Porsche forums and just tell them that their car is just a fancy VW beetle.
Lilly you can't realistically be that ignorant? or are you?

I'll mainly agree with you in the past the CSX, 1.7EL, 1.6EL have pretty much been a civic with leather, and different head and taillights.
but the ILX's whole exterior/interior body is different.

Also when did merc start covering all the maintenance??? I knew Audi did (Audi care) and BMW did.. but as far as I knew merc didn't.. anyways news to me, but that's awesome if they do! I would definitely consider it in the future.

I don't think theres any debate that Merc makes higher end cars then Acura... the classes and cars can be compared because both offer a luxury feel. Acura simply gives you a different driving experience.... which one you like is up to you.... I personally think driving a merc is boring as hell (that being said I've never tried an AMG version), just my roommates c350, and a few other c classes... and have been less than impressed.
I don't know what it is.. coming from a guy who has mainly driven hondas, I find European cars just way to smooth... takes you away from the road... nothings gonna beat ripping around on the track in my s2000 for me sitting 3 inches off the ground. (again different type of car.. I'm just babbling)

Anyways I'm getting off topic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts