Acura ILX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just got a 2019 ILX from a 2017 Toyota Corolla really hoping it wasn't a mistake but I am encountering an issue when the automatic transmission is downshifting for example if I am stopping at a Red light there's a delay for the first gear to kick in after stopping and I can feel when the car goes into first gear way after I have stopped. Is this something common ?? I know Honda's transmission are not the most reliable and hoping this upgrade wasn't a mistake. If anyone experiencing the same or have a solution and could share I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That year ILX uses an 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission instead of a traditional Automatic. With a DCT you will have some "clunkiness" no matter what. For this design Honda/Acura actually added a hydraulic torque converter to the DCT to help buffer some of the harshness and to help in stop and go situations. The converter does help a lot when you compare this unit with other manufacturers Dual Clutch setups. What you are describing is most likely happening when the odd and even clutches engage and disengage. My guess is that this is "normal" as all of the Acura's that I have driven with this transmission have some degree of this. It seems much less noticeable on the TLX though. This may be because it's a heavier vehicle, is built quieter and has a slightly different (not by much though) transmission. This only applies to the 4 cylinder as the 6 cylinder has a traditional automatic. Since you have a 2019, be sure to take it in under warranty to get it checked out fully just in case. Should have a 4 year 50K bumper to bumper warranty and a 6 year 70K powertrain warranty after that.

Below is a link for a TSB that was issued for earlier years. It included a software update and possibly a clutch lap / break in procedure. The update can in some cases make the "bump" you feel much less noticeable but I don't think the 2019 model needs this as it was mostly a 2016 and 17 thing.

Earlier TSB (link here)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for all this info it is greatly appreciated and you are correct the car is still under warranty and will take it in for a check up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're welcome. It may also be useful to see if the tech will go on a test drive with you so the issue can be pointed out right as it happens. Could also ask to drive another ILX they have on the lot to see if you can reproduce it in that vehicle. That way you know it is not just your car that has that shift trait. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definitely will ask the tech to drive with me. When they were certifying the car they gave me a loaner the 2020 ILX A-SPEC and I did not encounter the issue it was a fun car to drive with all the technology. But again thank you very much for the advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wonder if some things were refined further in the 2020? Could also be that the control module had not set any shift adaptives yet if it was brand new. Those take multiple drive cycles as far as I know and can change shift behavior somewhat. You would think the drivetrain wouod be almost identical to the 2019 but engineers are always trying to improve things. Post back if you can with what you find. The more information in these forums the better. Could help someone out down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wonder if some things were refined further in the 2020? Could also be that the control module had not set any shift adaptives yet if it was brand new. Those take multiple drive cycles as far as I know and can change shift behavior somewhat. You would think the drivetrain wouod be almost identical to the 2019 but engineers are always trying to improve things. Post back if you can with what you find. The more information in these forums the better. Could help someone out down the road.
I think they might improve the car last year yeah. Car maintenance isn't easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts