Acura ILX Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks - appreciate the comments.

Not to belabor the point any further (and I'm not going to say any more after this) but my mention of "pitying the automatic owners" is the fact that they won't get to use the fantastic manual in this car. It wasn't a slight against the automatic in this car, but a compliment to the manual and how nice it is to use. That is all I am saying.

Sorry if that offended you.

I've visited my cousin who lives in LA, so I can understand your sentiment about public roads, and wouldn't be able to imagine having to drive in that every day. But you don't live that far away from what I consider some of the best roads in the world either, and I don't feel like you need to go at break neck speeds to enjoy them and the awesome scenery and weather you guys have down there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The EP3 is a Civic SiR (In Canada). It replaced the 99-00 SiR. If you look at similar cars to the ILX, it's a lightweight. Anyways, I understand the weight comparison and do agree to a point. My SiR had a K24a2 with about 230-240hp, so although the ILX is great, revs nice and has good power - It's not up to the same level my EP3 was... May need to get Flashpro.
Thanks Slip_Angle; those are certainly different cars with different "end goals". As I said the '99 SiR was the first manual car I ever drove so it has a special place in my heart, and recently I got to drive a 2000 SiR around a track (The Ridge Motorsports Park, where I was actually comparing that to a Miata from the same era). That was really special. I just think its amazing how Honda was able to make such a simple, back to basics, fun car to drive.

I was lucky enough to drive another friend's 2004 SiR for awhile as well (I live in Canada) and that was cool too, although I felt the car was a bit let down by the engine - I didn't think the 1.6L from the RSX suited the car that well. The hatchback wasn't for everyone, but personally I loved the way the car looked.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks - appreciate the comments.

Not to belabor the point any further (and I'm not going to say any more after this) but my mention of "pitying the automatic owners" is the fact that they won't get to use the fantastic manual in this car. It wasn't a slight against the automatic in this car, but a compliment to the manual and how nice it is to use. That is all I am saying.

Sorry if that offended you.

I've visited my cousin who lives in LA, so I can understand your sentiment about public roads, and wouldn't be able to imagine having to drive in that every day. But you don't live that far away from what I consider some of the best roads in the world either, and I don't feel like you need to go at break neck speeds to enjoy them and the awesome scenery and weather you guys have down there.
the manual does indeed deserve respect, i remember seeing reviewers rave about the ILX's manual transmission. It's really a "step-up" for some from the automatic but of course for others the automatic is the better way, we all have our own preferences.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was lucky enough to drive another friend's 2004 SiR for awhile as well (I live in Canada) and that was cool too, although I felt the car was a bit let down by the engine - I didn't think the 1.6L from the RSX suited the car that well. The hatchback wasn't for everyone, but personally I loved the way the car looked.

Thanks for the comments!
The 2002-2005 SiR has the base RSX engine, which was a 2.0L - k20a3. And yes, it was weak. Hence the reason I swapped in the K24a2. I really enjoyed the car and thought it looked great with the HFP kit, slightly lowered and a Type-R spoiler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ah sorry Slip_Angle - you are right. I got my 1.6L SiR engines mixed up.

Your SiR now must really resemble a Type R! Too bad we never actually got a real Type R. And unfortunately I'm afraid that Type R may never be the same again; ongoing pressures for reduced CO2 output and improved fuel economy don't mesh well with high revving NA engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone

I recently test drove and put together a video on the ILX. I recognize there is some risk in posting a video on a car to a forum full of its enthusiasts, but I would appreciate any feedback that you have!

143CAR.com - 2014 Acura ILX Dynamic - YouTube

If you like what you saw, please subscribe or like the facebook page!

Thank you
Dynamic model is the premium version of the Civic Si. The standard ILX comes with a 2.0L four-cylinder engine capable of 150 HP and 140 lb.-ft of torque. The Dynamic dumps that setup for a 2.4L four-cylinder engine that pushes 201 HP with 170 lb.-ft of sharpdetail.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts