Acura ILX Forums banner

121 - 139 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
A quick search for low rolling resistance tires show there are plenty of options available. Just need to fork out the extra money when buying rubber to mount.
Here is what I found on wiki from best to worse:

All Season Ultra High Performance:
General Exclaim UHP
Continental ContiExtremeContact

Performance All Season:
Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
Continental ContiPremierContact H

All Season:
Michelin X Radial
Michelin Agility Touring
Michelin Harmony
Toyo 800 Ultra
Sumitomo HTR T4

Just find some wheels you like that are close to spec. Match them with tires from that list or any other low-rolling-resistance tires and you'll keep your stock MPG.

·
Super Moderator
491 Posts
Wouldn't larger wheels result in BETTER MPG? Like going to a higher gear? Less rotations at the
same speed. Just sayin'...
My first reply was scatter brained. I think it's more like opening a door from the hinge side. A larger door will swing wider but still require more effort to open. But, with aftermarket wheels being so light it may cancel itself out.. the greater rotational mass could be counter acted by a reduction in unsprung weight.

So, if you go larger just make sure you're dropping a few lbs too. (shouldn't be hard because the stock wheels are so heavy)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first reply was scatter brained. I think it's more like opening a door from the hinge side. A larger door will swing wider but still require more effort to open. But, with aftermarket wheels being so light it may cancel itself out.. the greater rotational mass could be counter acted by a reduction in unsprung weight.

So, if you go larger just make sure you're dropping a few lbs too. (shouldn't be hard because the stock wheels are so heavy)
correct. also, having a low profile tire helps reduce rolling resistance.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Just a quick and "around the same ballpark" guide for all those looking to get bigger wheels but keep the overall diemeter stock (as to not mess with your odometer / speedometer).

I know, most of us look at this like "well, duh" but when I began switching out wheels / tires on my cars back in the day, this would've helped me out.

(got this from the tire rack website)

·
Registered
455 Posts
correct. also, having a low profile tire helps reduce rolling resistance.
That's right, just make sure not to go with a low profile run flat tire, that'll just put you and your tire guy through hell if you ever need to get the run flat tire changed. Regular low pro's are definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's mine.. Authentic BBS RS 17x8/9 +35/40 with 205/45/17

Might not be on my ILX for awhile though, it wont look good til its dumped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's mine.. Authentic BBS RS 17x8/9 +35/40 with 205/45/17

Might not be on my ILX for awhile though, it wont look good til its dumped.

Those wheels are awesome! cant wait to see them on the car, whenever that might happen! BBS are my all time favorite wheel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
true. I guess I just meant the nice ones haha. But I do like a good amount of there wheels. Like the RS and the LM's and stuff like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Omg... I can't find authentic BBS rs anywhere in 17's or 18s. Sell me your wheels !

On the other hand, I have a chance to pick up a discontinued set of Volk Racing Le37k's
But they are 18x7.5. Do you guys think I should get them? Or just keep hunting down new wheels.
The 7.5 width is killing it for me since I can't stretch a tire on them...

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can stretch on 7.5. Just be hard to find tires with a narrower width.
Theyll just look pretty sunk on there... but arent our stocks wheels 7.5? Shouldnt look worse then.
Whats the price?
And searching google for bbs rs 18x114 found a slew of them. Depends if you can pay shipping and where you reside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's so hard finding a tire to stretch on it.... And I'll have to be running some fat wheel spacers.
I'd rather not pay for shipping since Ill already be spending so much on the rims themselves. I live in SoCal so it shouldn't be hard to find rims.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wheels. And no shouldn't be too hard at all. Were you on any honda sites with your older cars? Id search them for wheels.
nwp4life.com will let you search the forsales without being a member for a week but honda-tech will make you wait a period of time first.
Ill start posting what I find in 18in when I see them for a good price.
Only problem I see with that is the majority of the users I see on Azine for ilx, tsx, and tl are cheap ass tuners. lol They want to spend roughly 800$ on wheels and tires and I just can't have that. I'm looking at 1,300 before shipping or tires if I go with the rotiforms so good prices Id be posting are going to be around a grand USED before shipping.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great finds!!

Volk LE37 18x7.5 +48, 18x8.5 +50, 5x114.3 only $1000

Work Equip 18x8.5 +28, 18x8.5 +25, 5x114.3 only $1700

Work VS-SS 18x8.5 +31, 5x114.3 only $1000

Not so great but worth it...

Advan RG2 Mag Blue 18x8.5 +31, 18x9 +35, 5x114.3 $1800 maybe they'll go lower.

Rays GRAMLIGHT 18x7.5 +40, 18x8.5 +40, 5x114.3 $1300

Found here Browse Listings › WheelFlip.com

121 - 139 of 149 Posts