Acura ILX Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually heard anything about the 2019-2021 ILXreceiving an OTA update to enable wireless CarPlay?

I saw something in a Facebook group but wanted to see if anyone actually knows if it is coming.

But one of my friends told me that for the folks saying it’s a hardware thing, that is not the case. The infotainment system in the ‘19-‘21 ILXhas all the hardware necessary to support wireless CarPlay, namely Bluetooth (for initial connection setup) and 5GHz WiFi (for the actual CarPlay connection). The infotainment system has both of those.
It really could be rolled out as part of an OTA update, but he doubts Acura will do so. It was the same situation with the ‘18-‘20 Accord - the infotainment systems in those cars had the hardware for wireless CarPlay, and Honda even sent out surveys gauging the interest of a paid upgrade for wireless CarPlay in those vehicles, but nothing ever came of it.

I have also done research on the wireless adapter -Cplay2air and Carlinkit 3.0.
Carplay2Air is identical hardware to Carlinkit 3.0 original version. They run the same firmware also and perform the same. This version has a hardwired USB connector.
CarLinikIt 3.0 is a new version that is similar in hardware but has a USB-C connector on the box and you plug a (removable) USB-C cable into it. It can run the same firmware, and it is not currently known if it is "better" hardware with some saying it boots quicker. It appears to be more difficult to change the firmware version in it and it is possible to brick it trying.

I am about to go looking to buy one, but not sure which is best. Probably the later USB-C version just in case it boots quicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just connected this today. Very easy to set up. Took less than 5 minutes. Very quick response when changing songs, etc. Got out of the car to eat lunch and when I got back it it reconnected quicker than when I plugged my phone into the car directly. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just connected this today. Very easy to set up. Took less than 5 minutes. Very quick response when changing songs, etc. Got out of the car to eat lunch and when I got back it it reconnected quicker than when I plugged my phone into the car directly. Worth every penny!
This is good to hear. I am thinking about getting one of these devices to use with my Apple CarPlay. This is the only thing that I don't like about my car albeit a small thing. I can live with out it, but I had the chance to drive a new 2022 MDX when my car was in for service. It had this new wireless CarPlay and wireless charging capability. Excellent feature! I suppose that since Acura is phasing out the ILX they saw no reason to update this feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is good to hear. I am thinking about getting one of these devices to use with my Apple CarPlay. This is the only thing that I don't like about my car albeit a small thing. I can live with out it, but I had the chance to drive a new 2022 MDX when my car was in for service. It had this new wireless CarPlay and wireless charging capability. Excellent feature! I suppose that since Acura is phasing out the ILX they saw no reason to update this feature.
You are right, you could cost less and get more through buying an adapter. If you really like to have wireless Apple Carplay, you could refer to the AI box that I got last year. It should be a new generation of the Carlinkit. The most amazing feature is to see video on the car screen. What's more, it is very simple to install and use!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone actually heard anything about the 2019-2021 ILXreceiving an OTA update to enable wireless CarPlay?

I saw something in a Facebook group but wanted to see if anyone actually knows if it is coming.

But one of my friends told me that for the folks saying it’s a hardware thing, that is not the case. The infotainment system in the ‘19-‘21 ILXhas all the hardware necessary to support wireless CarPlay, namely Bluetooth (for initial connection setup) and 5GHz WiFi (for the actual CarPlay connection). The infotainment system has both of those.
It really could be rolled out as part of an OTA update, but he doubts Acura will do so. It was the same situation with the ‘18-‘20 Accord - the infotainment systems in those cars had the hardware for wireless CarPlay, and Honda even sent out surveys gauging the interest of a paid upgrade for wireless CarPlay in those vehicles, but nothing ever came of it.

I have also done research on the wireless adapter -Cplay2air and Carlinkit 3.0.
Carplay2Air is identical hardware to Carlinkit 3.0 original version. They run the same firmware also and perform the same. This version has a hardwired USB connector.
CarLinikIt 3.0 is a new version that is similar in hardware but has a USB-C connector on the box and you plug a (removable) USB-C cable into it. It can run the same firmware, and it is not currently known if it is "better" hardware with some saying it boots quicker. It appears to be more difficult to change the firmware version in it and it is possible to brick it trying.

I am about to go looking to buy one, but not sure which is best. Probably the later USB-C version just in case it boots quicker.
After reading some of the responses in this thread, I did some research online, and went ahead and bought a CarlinKit 3.0 for my 2022 ILX. It was super simple to install - just plug it in and sync it with the car. There is a new version of this kit, specifically for the 2022 ILX which runs $129. I bought it through Amazon and they were offering a $29 credit (with digital coupon). I am quite pleased with this system. It is really nice to get in the car, crank it up, and have the system sync itself with my phone and I don't have to take the phone out of my pocket. I'm sure that "time will tell" as to longevity of the product. It is really ashamed that a $35,000 car doesn't have wiles CarPlay. Maybe we will be lucky and Honda will offer an OTA download so that we can enjoy CarPlay wirelessly while we are cruising along in our ILX autos!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts