Heel and toe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Heel and toe

Heel and toe

Has anybody really mastered the "heel and toe" technique with the K24. If so can u give some pointers?
    My foot just seems awkward trying to brake and rev sync.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Not much different than any other car. It takes practice to be able to control the brakes with any sort of precision and nip the throttle at the right amount. Just takes practice there is nothing to it. You can practice while the car isnt moving by braking hard and nipping the throttle to see if you can get it to shoot up just where you'd like it. So say if it spikes 3000rpm from 3rd to second. You want to try to see if you can get the rpm to spoke from say 3000rpm revving in idle and quickly brake and nip throttle to shoot it to 6000rpm. Of course it doesnt apply like that in real life because you will be slowing down but its a good way to see if you have any control of how much throttle you give with your heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Saildog4534 View Post
    Has anybody really mastered the "heel and toe" technique with the K24. If so can u give some pointers?
    My foot just seems awkward trying to brake and rev sync.
    Heel Toeing seems like an excessive technique IMO. Especially on the road. Do you track?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

No, I don't plan on racing but I do like to drive aggressive. I try to carry as much speed into
    a turn by braking late and rev syncing before the apex. Cfrp made some good points and
    I guess the bottom line is practice. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!

Heel toeing, rev syncing, threshold braking are good techniques to know. I'm still trying to get a handle on them myself and it challenges me everyday to improve myself. It's good people are still trying to learn these, otherwise it will become a lost art. Auto drivers are missing out on a lot of fun ways to drive. Just driving point a to point b is dulling.
    Saildog4534 likes this.

The heel and toe technique might be a little overkill for the road as it applies better for when your taking a corner fast. You ever try to heel toe at lower speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Oatos View Post
    The heel and toe technique might be a little overkill for the road as it applies better for when your taking a corner fast. You ever try to heel toe at lower speeds?
    Not quite sure what you mean oatos, heel and toe is ONLY applicable for entering turns faster,
    which the ILX loves to do, as do I.

Not really you can heel toe at slow turns. It just doesnt make any sense haha.

RPM
    You're going to need proper shoes for heel toeing. I find regular shoes get in the way. With boots, it's impossible.

It's getting increasingly hard to do as I get on in years.

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    You're going to need proper shoes for heel toeing. I find regular shoes get in the way. With boots, it's impossible.

It's getting increasingly hard to do as I get on in years.
    Yeah, I usually drive with tennis shoes. I find with the pedal arrangement on the ILX, it's
    difficult to brake with your toe and blip with your heel. I've been experimenting with braking
    with the outboard edge of my foot near the ball and blipping with the inboard edge,with a little
    more success than the traditional "heel and toe". I'm hoping age isn't a factor cause I'll bet
    Jackie Stewart is still a master and he's gotta be in his 80's (if he's still alive).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.