Acura ILX Hybrid: Hit or Miss?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acura ILX Hybrid: Hit or Miss?

Acura ILX Hybrid: Hit or Miss?

Anyone here own or have experience with the hybrid version of the ILX? I was wondering if it's worth the extra 3k or not.From reading reviews online there were criticisms such as weak power and small cargo space. On the positive side, it has been called stylish, with a lot of standard features and reliable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

RPM
    I did have a chance to drive one at the local Acura dealership. I found it too weak for my tastes. On the highway, I struggled to overtake cars. On the roads, it wasn't too bad, but I wasn't a big fan of their idle-stop system. The engine turning off at stoplights is something I don't think I can get used to. I'm not that tall of a guy but I can see how people over 6ft might have problems with the headroom.

I was looking into buying one, but I read that the gas mileage doesn't quite deliver, so in the end it doesn't worth it to pay the premium. If I were truly interested in buying a green car, it's more worth it to buy a Prius which offers about the same quality and much better fuel economy. The ILX hybrid tries to compromise too much, being everything instead of something IMO.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Linsanity View Post
    I was looking into buying one, but I read that the gas mileage doesn't quite deliver, so in the end it doesn't worth it to pay the premium. If I were truly interested in buying a green car, it's more worth it to buy a Prius which offers about the same quality and much better fuel economy. The ILX hybrid tries to compromise too much, being everything instead of something IMO.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. It's just not worth getting for the premium price attached to it. That goes for a lot of the hybrids out today, they are not worth getting, it will take YEARS before you break even on the premium price you paid with gas savings.

Better off getting a regular ILX and driving efficiently.
    Saildog4534 likes this.

I actually own the Hybrid and I've been getting pretty good gas mileage 40+. I was in DC last weekend and got 43+. I really think it depends on how you drive, eg. slow down early, accelerate slow, use cruise control, and always drive using ECON. The power is not too bad for a hybrid. Turn off econ and it basically drives with the power similar to that of a civic.

I bought the hybrid because I wanted all the features and comfort, plus great MPG. So it was basically this or the CT200h (only buy Japanese because I trust the quality). The ILX came out a couple thousand dollars cheaper and to be honest, it looks a lot better externally and internally. The only thing I wish it had was side dimming mirrors and lumbar support in the main seat.

Just FYI, I used to own a Honda Accord 2008 Coupe v6 which has around 270+ HP... so that was a big change. But I was only get 22 MPG with that. I don't really need the power any more anyway since i'm driving just to work and on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by hightemp13 View Post
    I actually own the Hybrid and I've been getting pretty good gas mileage 40+. I was in DC last weekend and got 43+. I really think it depends on how you drive, eg. slow down early, accelerate slow, use cruise control, and always drive using ECON. The power is not too bad for a hybrid. Turn off econ and it basically drives with the power similar to that of a civic.

I bought the hybrid because I wanted all the features and comfort, plus great MPG. So it was basically this or the CT200h (only buy Japanese because I trust the quality). The ILX came out a couple thousand dollars cheaper and to be honest, it looks a lot better externally and internally. The only thing I wish it had was side dimming mirrors and lumbar support in the main seat.

Just FYI, I used to own a Honda Accord 2008 Coupe v6 which has around 270+ HP... so that was a big change. But I was only get 22 MPG with that. I don't really need the power any more anyway since i'm driving just to work and on vacation.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'll sacrifice the better mileage for the acceleration of the K24.

It all depends on your needs and requirements. hightemp13 needs something economical that still has the comfort and luxury. The ILX hybrid is a good option

He/she already has a v6 accord. More than enough fun.

I can't see myself buying hybrid until it becomes cheaper. Jumping to a hybrid from the base petrol version of any car is usually about $3000 MINIMUM. I've seen a few car models even go as far as $8k for example the Q50 hybrid. It's just not affordable yet. It'll take many years to even earn back the money spent on fuel savings.

It's also a relatively new technology. Will the car even hold up years from now? The reliability and resale value of a hybrid is still a question mark.

RPM
    Quote Originally Posted by TDRacer View Post
    I can't see myself buying hybrid until it becomes cheaper. Jumping to a hybrid from the base petrol version of any car is usually about $3000 MINIMUM. I've seen a few car models even go as far as $8k for example the Q50 hybrid. It's just not affordable yet. It'll take many years to even earn back the money spent on fuel savings.

It's also a relatively new technology. Will the car even hold up years from now? The reliability and resale value of a hybrid is still a question mark.
    The current ILX hybrid adds 3k to the base model ILX. I would expect it to be the same for this years model.

I've calculated out the value and, conservatively, it would take about 3 years to make up the difference. Since i'm planning to own my car for more than 3 years... I think I will be ok on the ROI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.