Furthest Long Distance Drive in ILX?

+ Reply to Thread

Furthest Long Distance Drive in ILX?

I am getting ready to do my first long distance drive in the ILX from Toronto to New York City, which is about 500 miles or 8 hours. I was wondering what's the furthest one way trip people have driven in their ILXs. And how comfy did you find it towards the end of the drive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Make sure you do an oil change before you do that long trip just to be on the safe side. Being a new car you want to baby that engine a bit, driving that far for 8 straight hours is going to put the engine to work!

Are you doing an inspection of your car before hitting the road or do you feel confident enough that it's good as it is right now?

If you're still on your first set of oil it may actually be better to leave it in there for the trip. It's "special" oil for the break-in.

I have driven 400 miles 1 way.. that's my furthest and it wasn't bad at all. The car actually glides pretty well at 75mph

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Furthest I've driven is also about 400km. It wasn't too bad. I was actually thinking of doing a road trip along the east coast this summer with some friends. I'm considering using my car... maybe. If I do, hopefully the back won't be too bad for those riding along.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    If you're still on your first set of oil it may actually be better to leave it in there for the trip. It's "special" oil for the break-in.

I have driven 400 miles 1 way.. that's my furthest and it wasn't bad at all. The car actually glides pretty well at 75mph
    Never knew they put "special" oil in our engines for the break-in. Always thought it was regular Honda engine oil, actually some salesmen don't believe in a break-in, some told me these days it's not required. Any idea what this special blend is like.

Waiting for the first ILX to travel cross nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Domani View Post
    Never knew they put "special" oil in our engines for the break-in. Always thought it was regular Honda engine oil, actually some salesmen don't believe in a break-in, some told me these days it's not required. Any idea what this special blend is like.
    Yep! Honda believes in break-in.. specifically if you look at your manual it's at least 600 miles they want you to take it easy on the car. Salesmen are for sales and spewing trash (most of them the latter), they're not mechanical at all.. if you want advice the internet and tech's are your best sources (mostly your owners manual). It states to leave the first oil in as long as possible because it assists with break in. It maybe a thicker oil with some additives.

Quote Originally Posted by Domani View Post
    What is the special blend? Is it still the same weight and viscosity or are additives that actually do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Oatos View Post
    What is the special blend? Is it still the same weight and viscosity or are additives that actually do the trick?
    doesn`t seem like he knows either, he seems to be just as uninformed about this special blend as you and i are. but i did come across this mention from a guy at Honda about what we`re calling the special blend engine break-in oil....

Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive.

Thanks for the heads up I actually never knew that honda did this. I wonder when they started doing using this special blends on new cars. what is the recommended first oil change anyways? 6000kms?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.