Report: Acura ILX not selling as well as expected, upgrades already in the works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Report: Acura ILX not selling as well as expected, upgrades already in the works

Report: Acura ILX not selling as well as expected, upgrades already in the works

While Acura’s sales are climbing once again after last year’s earthquake inventory crisis, the brand’s new ILX compact sedan has been a disappointment in terms of sales.

The Acura ILX ‘is not hitting its sales expectations,” said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president.
    Check out more news on the Acura ILX.

Originally, the Civic-based Acura ILX was meant to replace the larger TSX – however, November was only the second time that the ILX outsold the TSX, which is still doing well. Last month, Acura sold a total of 2,108 units of the ILX – that doesn’t compare to well to the 3,575 units that Buick sold of the Verano or the 3,343 units that Audi sold of the A4.

So what’s the issue? According to Mendel, the main issue is the 2.0 liter engine that is “underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value.” The upmarket 2.4 liter engine only comes with a manual transmission.
    Acura is now planning a powertrain change for the ILX.

“The car was planned for a 2.4 automatic, and we’re working to fulfill that,” Mendel said. “We’re looking to sell about 30,000 units a year, and we’re probably closer to 22 or 24 right now. We’re hitting two-thirds of our expectations, but we’re growing every month and catching on more.”

Report: Acura ILX not selling as well as expected, upgrades already in the works - egmCarTech
    Trentimus likes this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

TDRacer, we really outta give you your own thread... haha; TDRacer's Useful/Interesting Sub-Forum

People actually buy the Verano? Interesting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    People actually buy the Verano? Interesting.
    I've seen Veranos on the road locally at least 100-150 times in the past 6 months (certainly I'm seeing the same cars multiple times, to some extent). However, in that same time period, I've seen exactly ONE ILX on the road and given the window sticker and dealer tags, it was clearly on a test ride.

The Verano is nice inside, maybe nicer than the ILX. Its rear seat is cramped, even more so than the ILX, though, and its exterior styling is fairly lame, definitely inferior to the sharp-looking little Cruze upon which it is based.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post
    I've seen Veranos on the road locally at least 100-150 times in the past 6 months (certainly I'm seeing the same cars multiple times, to some extent). However, in that same time period, I've seen exactly ONE ILX on the road and given the window sticker and dealer tags, it was clearly on a test ride.

The Verano is nice inside, maybe nicer than the ILX. Its rear seat is cramped, even more so than the ILX, though, and its exterior styling is fairly lame, definitely inferior to the sharp-looking little Cruze upon which it is based.
    Interesting. I guess it depends on your location. I rarely see Veranos or Buicks in general. I've never even considered buying a Buick. Whenever I think of Buicks I think of this

RPM likes this.

i dont know about you guys but its been a while since ive noticed a buick on the road new or old. Maybe im not in the right area lol

I think they're pretty ugly, personally.. but I parked next to a Verano, first one I have seen, and it's about the same size of a ILX.

I bought the ILX because I've always been a Honda/Acura guy. I've owned Toyotas before. I don't look at Buick because they have not had a long enough reputation for reliability to consider. I need my cars to last over 100k problem free. I also want the repair bills to be affordable. I've gotten good enough at working on Hondas that I can do most of the repairs myself. Readily available parts and the wealth of support online would make me choose the ILX over the Verano.

Trentimus likes this.

Speaking about the Verano, it's cool and all but it's Buick's first compact sedan, not something you should expect to be perfect the first time around. I rather get the ILX since Acura has been in the luxury compact sedan segment for 15+ years now, plus is Acura/Honda, how can you go wrong lol
    Trentimus likes this.

The Honda/Acura community, price of parts, reputation, and reliability are greater than that of the Buick, in my opinion.

I have a pretty good idea that if I put any effort into maintaining my car properly it will last over 250,000 miles without major repair.

With the economy the way it is, perhaps people are stepping down from Acuras to Hondas instead of vice-versa. I know on some of the general Acura forums a lot of people are downsizing from TLs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.