Acura ILX Forums banner

Acura down 4 spots on reliability, MDX least reliable model - Consumer Reports

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Popeye 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
Ok here's a little insider info...Honda has been outsourcing some of its jobs to other companies. I won't go into any details but it's all in an effort to gain more profitability per unit sold. Thought being "why pay some one $28/hr to do the same job as you could get another company to hire people to do it for 15/hr"

This has caused parts shortages and downtime. You may think so what ;but the result is inferior parts. Inferior parts leads to recalls and poorer reliability

#7 ·
Interesting, I will have to look into that.

^ hm. I think the reliability of the Honda cars that are made in the USA vs the cars that are made in Japan are different.

Since Honda has shifted manufacturing to home ground the reliability has gotten worse.
This is true, not just for Honda but Toyota as well. In the early 90's when Toyota and Lexus vehicles were built in Japan, the quality of cars they pumped out from those factories were amazing, ever since production has moved to the U.S. , quality hasn't been the same.

#8 ·
Since Honda has shifted manufacturing to home ground the reliability has gotten worse.
My wife has said it and many of her lineworkers and even some members of the engineering staff agree;there needs to be more Japanese influence in middle management.What I hear at the dinner table is "hitting the number" in other words quantity is #1 not quality unless it's a safety issue

#10 ·
Yea I think if Honda/Acura tightned up quality control rather than concentrating on mass production it would really help their sales in the long run. Japanese culture is that workers are very passionate about what they do. I think some of this passion needs to be fed to our workers.
I think it will be tough to do that, they need a leader like what Toyota has. Only recently Toyota starting being more passionate about the cars they build here and in Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.