2013 ILX 2.4 Premium, problems using USB flash drive to store/access MP3 music.

+ Reply to Thread

2013 ILX 2.4 Premium, problems using USB flash drive to store/access MP3 music.

Hey everyone. I *just* bought a 2013 ILX 2.4 Premium. This is a fun car! I just came from owning a Saab 9-3 for the past 10 yrs and being part of their various owner boards/Facebook groups, etc. This is my first Acura and my first post on this board!

I've searched around and I can't find much about requirements for USB flash drives plugged into the car stereo. I find a few posts here and there but they don't really go in-depth. Are there any special requirements for USB storage devices? Some of my USB flash drives do work with this car and others do not work. There is nothing in the owner's manual about this. I haven't called Acura Customer Relations yet but I thought I'd ask here first.

From what I find generally people say that you can't use a device that's larger than 32GB. I went to my local Micro Center and bought a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive just to test this. It didn't work. Formatted it as FAT32 (that seems to be another need) up to 64GB, still didn't work. Formatted the partition down to 32GB, still didn't work.

Exchanged the 64GB flash drive for a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive at the store. Despite it still being formatted FAT32 it also doesn't work on the Acura. Hmmm.

I do have an older 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive and that DOES work on the Acura. Now USB 3.0 *should* be reverse compatible down to USB 2.0. *Should*. I hear a lot of "shoulds" in the IT world but I have to live in "is". I don't mind moving it to a USB 2.0 drive, but does the car require that?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I'm picking up mine tomorrow.. curious to see if i have the same issues..

I also just picked up a 2013 2.4 Premium... and haven't tried the flash drive thing yet.... Be curious to see what you found out!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Don't use a USB 3.0 flash drive, use 2.0. In mine I have a USB 2.0 32GB and it works flawlessly.

USB 3.0 is reverse compatible with PC's, but since it's a car, I doubt the components are as versatile as a PC. Stick with a 2.0, it works fine and is fast enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.