Acura ILX Sales Falling Short of Expectations

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acura ILX Sales Falling Short of Expectations

Sponsored Editorial Content

Acura ILX Sales Falling Short of Expectations

A sodium pentothal-loaded needle might be nice every now and again when auto executives lend predictions; that or a crystal ball, and here’s why.

Some months ago, Acura hosted a press drive for its now-available ILX entry-level luxury sedan. At the time, Acura vice president Jeff Conrad was more than confident about the car’s future sales. So confident, in fact, that he projected the ILX and RDX would boost brand sales 45 percent. Travel six months into its lifespan and there’s less reason to be optimistic. Not surprisingly, Acura isn’t ready to concede.

“Customers are learning about ILX through our marketing efforts and by the good work of the Acura dealers as they help us spread the word about the sporty package the ILX offers buyers. As awareness builds, we expect sales to grow as well,” Acura spokesman Chuck Shifsky said.

Momentum, he said, is building for the car. Acura shipped 7,658 units from the point in May when sales kicked off through October – an off month for the industry as a whole. The car saw fewer than 1,000 takes in the first month, but that grew to around 1,700 units at the car’s peak in August and September. Last month, sales dipped slightly — to around 1,500.

To be fair, the ILX doesn’t reflect brand sales overall. In fact, sales have been climbing for Acura (up 27.6% year to date), buoyed buy unexpectedly high demand for the RDX. Initially, Acura predicted the two cars would account for 55,000 unit sales with 15,000 expected of the crossover. That’s hardly been the case with Acura reporting 82.7 percent increased RDX sales over last year and with two months left to go in 2012, volume has already reached 22,460 units.

Those strong numbers are helping to shore-up Acura’s overall growth targets, with the ILX meant to ship 40,000 units within the first 12 months. Shifsky didn’t specifically say the ILX wasn’t on track to meet that figure, but he didn’t confirm it either.

More: Acura ILX Sales Falling Short of Expectations on AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

You really pray you didn't buy a car that could flop completely.. and then be removed from the line-up. I hope the ILX improves.. I think they really need to push the lease option on these.. Acura really has one of the most appealing leasing deals there is. I bought mine.. I just pray the aftermarket still gets after the ILX.. I'd love to be able to mod my car in 3 years than be like an accord owner.. with like 3 options.

I noticed there a lack of marketing for this car, I've seen it at some of the main auto shows, a couple ad's on the net and that was it!

No billboards or anything thats in your face. If they can market this car better maybe they will have a better chance at selling it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I get lots of stares from Civic and TL owners ......one guy almost rear-ended another car

Those guys know about the ILX but Acura has been silent on the car here in the Mid-West on TV commerials.

They will need a Type-S variant or A-spec program to bring wow factor

Funny thing happened while I was getting my 1st oil change;a lady in line ahead of me wanted to know if it was the new TSX.I said no ILX and she said she had never heard of it.....I was getting my oil changed @ the Acura dealer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was driving a 1st gen TSX and said she was in the market for a newer car ;hers had 120K on the odo . Hell I may have sold them an ILX this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Funny thing happened while I was getting my 1st oil change;a lady in line ahead of me wanted to know if it was the new TSX.I said no ILX and she said she had never heard of it.....I was getting my oil changed @ the Acura dealer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was driving a 1st gen TSX and said she was in the market for a newer car ;hers had 120K on the odo . Hell I may have sold them an ILX this morning
    hahaha well Acura's design does stay close from ILX to RLX, plus the ILX does seem like a bigger vehicle....almost mid-sized in a way. But still, seeing it in person i would never think it was a TSX.

And why would you want to sell your ILX!

Quote Originally Posted by ILX-Fan View Post
    And why would you want to sell your ILX!
    Not mine ; I may have helped the dealership sell her a new ILX

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Not mine ; I may have helped the dealership sell her a new ILX
    Maybe its time you work for them and be the insider for ILX information for us

Even though they are not making their hoped for figures the ILX was the highest selling sedan for Acura in November.

Yeah, I think it is just Honda's trend of miscalculating sales and customer reception.. I think a lot of auto-reviewers are full of it and keep calling the ILX a Civic and that confuses the general public.. The car looks and feels nothing of a civic and them suggesting otherwise is hurting it's sales(maybe).. My 2 pennies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.