Acura TLX to Get 45-MPG Hybrid, ILX Coupe Dropped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sponsored Editorial Content

Acura TLX to Get 45-MPG Hybrid, ILX Coupe Dropped

As Acura continues to revamp its product range the Honda luxury brand will roll out its all-new RLX flagship later this year, followed by an all-new MDX and TL in 2013.

Based on the chassis of the upcoming 2013 Accord, the TL (likely to be renamed the TLX) will shrink in size slightly with the TSX being phased out. This will also be one of the first Acuras to use one of the new Earth Dreams engines, sporting direct injection to deliver around 310 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. In addition, the same hybrid powertrain used in the upcoming Accord will be offered, delivering as much as 45 mpg.

As for the TSX, it’s rumored to carry on in limited production, at least in V6 form.

Sliding further down the scale, the brand’s new ILX sedan will also gain a more potent Earth Dreams engine. According to Automotive News, the base 2.0-liter could be replaced by a 2.4-liter making 181 hp, although it’s more likely that a direct-injection 2.0-liter could fill the void making around 170 hp, with a more potent 2.4-liter delivering closer to 230 hp.

Those hoping the ILX would bring back the sporty coupe to Acura’s stable will, however, be disappointed to learn Honda is not planning an ILX Coupe (rendered above).

With the new 2013 RDX hitting dealers now, look for the new MDX to feature similar styling, as well as the new Earth Dreams V6 engine with added power and improved efficiency.

2014 will then bring the launch of the new NSX, using that V6 engine and two electric motors to deliver all-wheel drive grip.

Despite the new flagship performance machine, Acura is following a plan to remain a second tier luxury automaker rather than an all-out challenger to brands like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.

[Source: AutoNews]

More: [B]Acura TLX to Get 45-MPG Hybrid, ILX Coupe Dropped[/B] on AutoGuide.com
    Last edited by Autoguide.com; 08-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

As cool as it would be to have an ILX Coupe, I think Acura made a smart move not going forward with it. If people want a "luxury" honda coupe they can get an accord coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by ILX-Fan View Post
    As cool as it would be to have an ILX Coupe, I think Acura made a smart move not going forward with it. If people want a "luxury" honda coupe they can get an accord coupe.
    it's just too bad an accord coupe pimped out with leather and all the good stuff can easily run more than $35k when new.
    maybe Acura should release one of these as a concept to gain interest and see where it goes from their.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Acura has their reasons, and for the most part i think they made the right decision as well. Dont remember any Acura coupe that actually sold alot.

Although the idea of an ILX coupe was dropped, I think there still is a chance that Acura will be making a coupe, maybe one based off of the Accord.

There's a rumor of a "Mini NSX" to be a 2 seater for around Corvette prices.
    Last edited by Trentimus; 12-06-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    There's a rumor of a "Mini NSX" to be a 2 seater for around Corvette prices.
    I thought it would be priced lower, corvettes are really cheap. Acura needs to replace the S2000 with a modern version of it that has more power (turbo?) and a luxurious interior of course.

i wonder what the mini nsx actually is. If its gonna be n s2000 i just hope they at least upgrade to a v6 or even a v8 to compare with some of the rival roadsters on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by AcuraPWR View Post
    I thought it would be priced lower, corvettes are really cheap. Acura needs to replace the S2000 with a modern version of it that has more power (turbo?) and a luxurious interior of course.
    I bet if you polled 100 S2000 owners more luxury would not be on the top 10 list. I know I owned two; more power and a seventh gear for highway cruising would be 1 and 2

I think 2 seats are gonna be a tough sale as a "luxury" car.. really what luxury can you have while being light and only having two seats without a stupid price.. S2K maybe should make a return; I don't see a 2 seater Acura selling well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.