Acura ILX With 2.4L, Automatic Under Consideration

+ Reply to Thread
    Sponsored Editorial Content

Acura ILX With 2.4L, Automatic Under Consideration

Acura might have biggest changes in mind for its entry-level ILX than those it announced mid-May for the 2014 model year.

Speaking with Ward’s Auto, American Honda executive Mike Accavitti said the company is considering offering the engine with an automatic, although he didn’t say when that might happen.

American Honda executive vice president admitted that choosing not to offer the larger 2.4-liter engine with an automatic is proving to be something of an Achilles’ heel for the car. Currently, buyers can only get the optional 201-hp engine with a six-speed manual.

Broadening its engine and transmission combinations could further squeeze the small space Acura fills with the TSX.

Even if the larger four-cylinder isn’t offered with an automatic, the company will offer new standard features for 2014, saying it offers customers a better value.

Those will include 17-inch wheels, new leather seat upholstery, a multi-angle rear-view camera and improved stereo among others. The car’s base price will rise by $1,000, but the brand says its new standard features represent about $2,000 in upgrades.

[Source: Ward's Auto]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. In my mind the only questions are will they do it mid year or wait for the 2015 model. And, if they are going to do it will they use the new DI engine instead. And, the follow up to the last question could be if they decide to use the DI2.4 in the auto will they switch the manual motor to the DI 2.4 as well. I'd be all over a mid-year DI 2.4 Manual if offered. More power, less fuel cost, better resale, downside is I have read it is slightly less exhilirating than the non DI 2.4 but I'm sure I could live with it.

You can't sell a premium entry level product in this day and age with a weak ass engine; consumers won't tolerate it . Oh wait maybe the short fall on the sales side is finally sinking in with the knuckleheads in Torrance

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    You can't sell a premium entry level product in this day and age with a weak ass engine; consumers won't tolerate it . Oh wait maybe the short fall on the sales side is finally sinking in with the knuckleheads in Torrance
    Either it has to be powerful enough or low on power but really efficient. In this case the ILX needs more power, no ones buying the ILX for fuel efficiency.

Show me a more efficient entry level luxury sedan with the same tech features and 200hp at $28,000.

Quote Originally Posted by ilxluv View Post
    Show me a more efficient entry level luxury sedan with the same tech features and 200hp at $28,000.
    good call I would like to see what others can be brought up with those conditions...

Arguable... that price could be raised to 30,00 and the hp lowered to 150 but chances are that criteria still wont be met and if so it would TIE the ILX not beat it.
    If a Mercedes Audi or BMW TIE Acura in the end cost of ownership over a 6 year period will likely be double than Acuras.

Im not sure if I can state this enough but if you break a auto dimming Mercedes side mirror you are out almost a grand. Damage your ILX side mirror and you're out less than half that.
    Call a mercedes dealership for an oil change then call Acura and see if there is a price difference.

The Merc's depreciate to fast for me to consider them

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.