Acura ILX Dynamic - Video Review!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acura ILX Dynamic - Video Review!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11

    Acura ILX Dynamic - Video Review!

    Hey everyone

    I recently test drove and put together a video on the ILX. I recognize there is some risk in posting a video on a car to a forum full of its enthusiasts, but I would appreciate any feedback that you have!

    143CAR.com - 2014 Acura ILX Dynamic - YouTube

    If you like what you saw, please subscribe or like the facebook page!
    https://www.facebook.com/143car

    Thank you

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    40
    Yes, this is a forum of enthusiasts, however as you mentioned in your video we are also more mature

    Overall, good review. I think you captured what I found in the ILX Dynamic. Bad thing about the ILX is that it's somewhat unknown and almost hides in Acura's lots. I didn't even consider it when car shopping because I really didn't know about it... and I'm a Honda guy...

    After test driving a few other cars (Including the Si), I stumbled upon this car and was really surprised. The 6MT with 2.4 is great and all packaged in a nice bit of luxury. Exactly what I was looking for...

    Tips/Comments on your video

    * Your focus points on the engine are fairly mute and could be more accentuated. Maybe a camera view of the tach would be better too.
    * The piece at 9:07 - 10:00 could be done a bit better. If you want the video to be professional, you can't call people who drive BMW's douche bags!

  4. #3
    Senior Member ilxluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    635
    As I watch the video Ill nit pick a few things for ya.

    I like the comedy thrown in. The bit about the past acuras was good.
    I am confused with the trim levels you explains since my ilx wouldnt fit in any other the 3 you mentioned; my 2.0 tech. You named the base, dynamic, and hybrid only.

    Aaaand then you pitied "you people" for buying an automatic. Are you talking to potential buyer or trying to sell a car to someone that already owns it? And you just about steered anyone away from buying the car if they cant drive a manual.
    I guess Im just not as 'boy racer' as you are for wanting something more luxurious. Too bad you dont have an ILX of your own to make comparisons a year from now.

    Why such an emphasis on the weight? it only weights about 200lbs less than an integra or rsx with much more comfort and luxuries. 3000 is fine for an entry level luxury care. You may not have expecting a sports car but you clearly werent expecting a luxury sedan.

    Lastly the keyless ignition isnt a huge deal. Whos friend would do that anyways?

    Good video minus insulting me.




  5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11
    Hey thanks guys for the feedback.

    As I mentioned I sometimes cringe at the thought of putting up a video onto a forum to owners of the car, as I know that you guys will know your car the best of the general population and typically are more critical than others as this is your own car. But I do this because I want to see how owners react to this video on their car and to get the most honest feedback.

    I wanted to say outright that I had no intentions of offending anyone, but just to provide a review of the car in a (hopefully) humorous and interesting way.

    A few points to those you guys have pointed out:
    1. Focus points on the engine - mute: I'm assuming you are referring to the volume? Yes some people have pointed out the volume levels and I aim to improve this going forward. Thank you!

    2. 9:07-10:00 / calling people douchebags: Generally near the end of the video I try to add a few thoughts to sum up how I feel about the car. My reference to BMW owners being "douchebags" is mostly in jest and meant no offense to anybody. When I do a review, I want to point things out that I genuinely feel about the car. Sometimes this will get me in trouble and I accept that. This point was supposed to be "hey - if you are considering a BMW 3-series, why not check out the ILX?". As you pointed out - this car is too often overlooked, and I was trying to get people to take a look at this car before they go with the default option of BMW (or the like).

    3. Trim levels: I had thought the "tech package" is offered as a subset of the base level. I originally had this very much detailed out but I thought while putting this video together that this would add an extra minute of having to explain the trim levels; something I thought people could just "google". In my reviews for the sake of brevity, I try to shy away from too much of comparison between trims.

    4. Automatic comments: This review is supposed to be for people who are looking at a luxury vehicle, not really for existing owners (despite me posting it on the ILX forums ha!). My point here is that I was trying to encourage people to opt for the 2.4L engine w/ the 6-speed, as the combination of these two things is what I feel really makes the car. That is my point. I wasn't trying to disrespect existing owners at all so I'm sorry if you were offended/insulted!

    5. Weight: Yes 3000 lbs isn't "much" for a car these days- you are right about that. Sad though isn't it? The main point about this is the fact that I really felt the car's weight in the corner inspite of the dual piston dampers. You are right though; I guess in the big scheme of things an entry luxury sedan this is decent.

    6. Keyless entry: this was meant to be a joke about how Hondas were easy to steal.

    Anyway - thank you for taking the time to comment. Please keep them coming! I will do my best to answer everything youguys post up.

    Cheers!

    Jonathan
    143car.com

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by 143CAR View Post
    Hey thanks guys for the feedback.

    As I mentioned I sometimes cringe at the thought of putting up a video onto a forum to owners of the car, as I know that you guys will know your car the best of the general population and typically are more critical than others as this is your own car. But I do this because I want to see how owners react to this video on their car and to get the most honest feedback.

    I wanted to say outright that I had no intentions of offending anyone, but just to provide a review of the car in a (hopefully) humorous and interesting way.

    A few points to those you guys have pointed out:
    1. Focus points on the engine - mute: I'm assuming you are referring to the volume? Yes some people have pointed out the volume levels and I aim to improve this going forward. Thank you!

    2. 9:07-10:00 / calling people douchebags: Generally near the end of the video I try to add a few thoughts to sum up how I feel about the car. My reference to BMW owners being "douchebags" is mostly in jest and meant no offense to anybody. When I do a review, I want to point things out that I genuinely feel about the car. Sometimes this will get me in trouble and I accept that. This point was supposed to be "hey - if you are considering a BMW 3-series, why not check out the ILX?". As you pointed out - this car is too often overlooked, and I was trying to get people to take a look at this car before they go with the default option of BMW (or the like).

    3. Trim levels: I had thought the "tech package" is offered as a subset of the base level. I originally had this very much detailed out but I thought while putting this video together that this would add an extra minute of having to explain the trim levels; something I thought people could just "google". In my reviews for the sake of brevity, I try to shy away from too much of comparison between trims.

    4. Automatic comments: This review is supposed to be for people who are looking at a luxury vehicle, not really for existing owners (despite me posting it on the ILX forums ha!). My point here is that I was trying to encourage people to opt for the 2.4L engine w/ the 6-speed, as the combination of these two things is what I feel really makes the car. That is my point. I wasn't trying to disrespect existing owners at all so I'm sorry if you were offended/insulted!

    5. Weight: Yes 3000 lbs isn't "much" for a car these days- you are right about that. Sad though isn't it? The main point about this is the fact that I really felt the car's weight in the corner inspite of the dual piston dampers. You are right though; I guess in the big scheme of things an entry luxury sedan this is decent.

    6. Keyless entry: this was meant to be a joke about how Hondas were easy to steal.

    Anyway - thank you for taking the time to comment. Please keep them coming! I will do my best to answer everything youguys post up.

    Cheers!

    Jonathan
    143car.com
    what do you think about a higher performing Acura ILX? I think it's time Acura does it, they've been long over due for a faster compact.

  8. #6
    Senior Member ilxluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by 143CAR View Post
    3. Trim levels: I had thought the "tech package" is offered as a subset of the base level. I originally had this very much detailed out but I thought while putting this video together that this would add an extra minute of having to explain the trim levels; something I thought people could just "google". In my reviews for the sake of brevity, I try to shy away from too much of comparison between trims.
    Acura, from my speaking with them, views the tech has the highest model in all segments of their line-up. It is their "fully loaded" package. Hence why I picked it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 143CAR View Post
    4. Automatic comments: This review is supposed to be for people who are looking at a luxury vehicle, not really for existing owners (despite me posting it on the ILX forums ha!). My point here is that I was trying to encourage people to opt for the 2.4L engine w/ the 6-speed, as the combination of these two things is what I feel really makes the car. That is my point. I wasn't trying to disrespect existing owners at all so I'm sorry if you were offended/insulted!
    If they are looking for a luxury vehicle you shouldn't be pushing them toward the sportier of the trim levels that comes with LESS LUXURIES. All I'm saying. I'm not offended because I bought the car I did for a reason. You just need better wording in my opinion.

    I take it the article is final and you can't make any revisions. Oh well. Id rather more people buy the 6spd anyway. Less competition.




  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuraPWR View Post
    what do you think about a higher performing Acura ILX? I think it's time Acura does it, they've been long over due for a faster compact.
    Hey AcuraPWR!

    I think a revival of the Type S brand is a great idea, but I just don't see Acura doing it with the slow sales they are having with the current ILX.

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ilxluv View Post
    Acura, from my speaking with them, views the tech has the highest model in all segments of their line-up. It is their "fully loaded" package. Hence why I picked it.



    If they are looking for a luxury vehicle you shouldn't be pushing them toward the sportier of the trim levels that comes with LESS LUXURIES. All I'm saying. I'm not offended because I bought the car I did for a reason. You just need better wording in my opinion.

    I take it the article is final and you can't make any revisions. Oh well. Id rather more people buy the 6spd anyway. Less competition.
    My main question about this is why the 6-speed is only available in the Dynamic package; if I were to buy this car I would want the Dynamic with the tech package, but that is just me. I mean - why can't we get sat nav and a touch screen with the Dynamic as an option?

    Message on the better wording received - thanks.

    Jonathan
    143CAR.com

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by 143CAR View Post
    My main question about this is why the 6-speed is only available in the Dynamic package; if I were to buy this car I would want the Dynamic with the tech package, but that is just me. I mean - why can't we get sat nav and a touch screen with the Dynamic as an option?

    Message on the better wording received - thanks.

    Jonathan
    143CAR.com
    In 2014 Honda Canada did exactly that, added Nav and ELS to the Dynamic. It's almost unexplainable that ACURA US didn't follow suite. Personally I don't care for it that much but every 2nd review makes a point mentioning these omissions.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Saildog4534's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    123
    I too wish the tech package was available with the 2.4, but I bought it anyway. I really think it's got the best drivetrain around, with the possible exception of the Honda S2k. My only critique of your vidio is I think you overly criticized the push button start. Most new cars have it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2