Tein Basic vs Tein Street Advance (Acura ILX)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tein Basic vs Tein Street Advance (Acura ILX)

Tein Basic vs Tein Street Advance (Acura ILX)

The street advanced are just a bit over $1000

Spring rates are 6k front 7k rear

Maximum drop is around 2.2" all around.

Twin Tube internal construction
    16 way adjustable dampers, compression and rebound combined
    Larger piston diameter for strut type front and rear (22mm)
    Ride Height adjustable via New Spring Seat design with a low-friction Delrin Thrust Washer
    Powder coated damper body with ZT coating (inner and outer) non-welded threaded tube
    1-year Manufacturers Defect Warranty

The TEIN Basic is a bit under $900

Spring rates are the same as the street advanced. Drop is the same

Twin Tube internal construction
    Larger piston diameter for strut type front and rear (22mm)
    Ride Height adjustable via New Spring Seat design with a low-friction Delrin Thrust Washer
    Powder coated damper body with ZT coating (inner and outer) non-welded threaded tube
    1-year Manufacturers Defect Warranty

Seems like the biggest difference is the ability to adjust the dampening.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

For the extra $100 I rather get the tein street advance since adjusting dampening is important to me plus it's just $100.

But is adjusting dampening important on these cars?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ilxluv View Post
    But is adjusting dampening important on these cars?
    It depends on what exactly you want to do . In my case I want to have my ILX slammed and a whole lot of wheel moment is not what you want when your wheels are so close to the body so thats where dampening comes in for me.

Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner.. from what I understand from the Civic owners the Basis come pretty squishy and if you don't like it, owell! I think for the average user that wants to retain ride comfort with a drop the Basis would probably be perfect, especially considering the average user doesn't want to mess with settings.

I like TEIN and am strongly leaning on their Advances

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner.. from what I understand from the Civic owners the Basis come pretty squishy and if you don't like it, owell! I think for the average user that wants to retain ride comfort with a drop the Basis would probably be perfect, especially considering the average user doesn't want to mess with settings.

I like TEIN and am strongly leaning on their Advances
    Thats what it comes down to, for the average user that just wants a drop, Tein Basics it is.

If you want to follow the crazy hellaflush and stance scene or plan on doing some serious tracking, you might want to consider dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by AcuraPWR View Post
    Thats what it comes down to, for the average user that just wants a drop, Tein Basics it is.

If you want to follow the crazy hellaflush and stance scene or plan on doing some serious tracking, you might want to consider dampening.
    Or if you're just really picky like me

Personally though I would wait a while until more companies come out with coilovers. The Tein coilovers under $3000 just aren't that great of a value. The quality is also questionable.

There are many cheaper options like BC Racing, Megan, K Sport/D2, ISC N1, Fortune Auto, HSD, Stance, Standard, etc, etc.

I am actually hoping Fortune Auto makes coilovers for the Acura ILX soon. They are likely the best out of all the asia sourced coilovers.

I have heard questionable things about TEIN Basics but not the Basis or Advance since they revamped them. I dunno I am pretty comfortable with the idea and feedback they get but I do wanna see who else comes with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    Adjusting the dampening wouldn't be necessary based on the car but more so on the owner..
    I wasn't exactly asking a question... more making a statement. I guess I should have come out and said it but I wanted to know why you would want an ILX with stiff shocks. Makes sense now, the OP wants to slam his ILX.
    Coming from an integra that scrapped on the crown of the road, I love my ILX suspension stock. I want to go lower, but I dont want to sacrifice how smooth of a ride it is stock. That's why I asked.

Right now there aren't many options for the ILX so shock dampening is going to be pretty standard for awhile. You can go to Eibach and maybe get some custom springs. But anything from Tein or most any company right now is going to have a pretty average set up with not many options. The more expensive teins should go stiff enough Im sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.