It's the fun-to-drive version.. right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's the fun-to-drive version.. right?

Before I get off on a negative foot.. I love my 2.4L - 6 Speed ILX.

Here's the truth though.. This car has the perfect motor/transmission combo for this class of vehicle. (despite my gripes about the gear ratios)

That's exactly where the ball stopped rolling. I get it, it's a "luxury" vehicle and if I wanted the Si's stiffness I should of bought one right? That's wrong in my opinion.. I maybe wrong on my numbers but the skidpad on the ILX is 8.1 and the Si is 8.8 or something close. This wouldn't be so bad if the ILX promoted confidence in turns.. In turns the car has a huge amount of body roll, likely cured by a rear sway bar. It loads and unloads unexpectantly, which is Acura's dual dampening they are using with the ILX, but it makes cornering to an extent scary.. The car is just not well planted at all. My concern is... why not make the 2.4 model a bit more firm? I dont care if they call it a Type-S.. It should of came with a rear sway bar, better tires (moar feedback less numb!).. I am not looking for Si stiff I am looking for CONFIDENT ILX
    I guess in conclusion to my little rant.. I bought the car, I am happy with the car BUT.. If I am buying 2.4L - 6 Speed I obviously opt-ed for more fun and less luxury, why else would **I** want to shift the car? ESPECIALLY how Acura made the gears soooo short.. there is no excuse to why they didn't stiffen this car up..

I will fix mine in the aftermarket anyways but Acura should fix future ILX "Dynamic" models. (and I mean FIX)

** Also, I am gonna get into contact with Billistein and see if they plan any kind of coilover development for our cars, I will report back!

Supposedly; '12 Civic Si's rear sway bars will work on our cars.. I really feel this mod will improve the car DRASTICALLY as body roll is one of the most difficult feelings of the car to overcome.

For anyone curious a Civic Si's limited slip differential WILL fit our cars as we share powerplants.. The Honda authentic LSD is an $800 piece though and then installation will not be a walk in the park.

Coilover installation should be fairly easy, hopefully I will get some put on by spring/summer.. I will try to report back on status and hopefully a DIY thread.
    Last edited by Trentimus; 11-20-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: **

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I agree with your rant. They basically gave us something along the lines of a performance model that has the power but horrible suspension and in a car like an ILX, it KILLS the driving experience especially when going through the turns. They should of done something like what Scion did with the FR-S....which is make EVERYTHING work together, the suspension complements the powertrain, they both work greatly.

In the ILX the suspension isn't fitting for the powertrain.

These aftermarket groups really haven't taken a huge interest in the ILX.. I wish it was like the FR-S/BR-Z's.. their aftermarket in just a few months is larger than the aftermarket most cars get in their entire time cycle..

Anyways.. our car's issues (besides the gearing) can be remedied through suspension upgrades, better tires, power upgrades and I am starting to consider dynamating my trunk & 4 doors. I think that would remedy the body roll/numbness, give it that extra little umph to compete with it's current rivals and then eliminate some of that road noise and tire howl that is so promnent now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I agree with you 100%

I had the same feeling about my RSX Type S. It just felt like a detuned Integra Type R. And it was marketed as a luxury performance vehicle. I think Acura needs to really bring out the performance in their cars with better tuned suspension and stiffer chassis.

It's nothing that you can't fix with aftermarket support but I do find the ILX suspension to be too soft. The same goes for my TL Type S. For a Type S model I find the suspension in my RSX and TL to be too soft. They need to redeem themselves with a ILX Type S. I miss the old Acura Integra Type R (DC2). Just raw driving. Or the 2000 Civic Si... Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    ............ and I am starting to consider dynamating my trunk & 4 doors. I think that would remedy the body roll/numbness, give it that extra little umph to compete with it's current rivals and then eliminate some of that road noise and tire howl that is so promnent now.
    Dynamat will insulate against the noise and heat but will do nothing for body roll ;if I understand the products properties properly

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Dynamat will insulate against the noise and heat but will do nothing for body roll ;if I understand the products properties properly
    No, it won't. I was going over the 3 different things dynamat, power and suspension, lol sorry

I was an installer for dynamat for 5 years.. Its extremely effective for noise reduction BUT it makes your speakers sound 10x better

Isn't that stuff pretty heavy once installed in a car? How much of it do you usually use for a coupe or sedan?

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    Isn't that stuff pretty heavy once installed in a car? How much of it do you usually use for a coupe or sedan?
    Right about 48lbs for all 4 doors, another 5ish for the back panel; then another 30-40 for the trunk.. it's worth it though. The noise reduction from the road, exhaust..ect is a sell alone BUT the speakers.. I KID YOU NOT.. will sound like a whole different sound system.. 10x better.

Ahhhh. It would definitely be worth it if I invested in the audio system. My exhaust is likely going to be so loud I can't hear music so doesn't make a difference for me

don't mind me posting a video with gangsturr music but it's a great before and after of how dynamat improves the sound quality your getting, especially with bass. This is just from the outside...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.