Drop V.S. Aftermarket Wheels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drop V.S. Aftermarket Wheels

So.. I browsed around and didn't necessarily find anyone talking about this but I am trying to figure out what offset to go with on aftermaket wheels being that I plan on a 2" drop via coil overs. I am thinking 18 x 8 w/ 215/40/18 tires (this could be off on the sidewall). I figure the offset is something like +33-40 depending on how flush you want it, but that's the part I don't know.. Has anyone found anything on wether or not we share the exact offset requirements and fender distance as a 9th gen Civic? That's really where I am hoping we are cause that would sure make it easier to compare other people's builds before I drop 1,500 on wheels

I messaged a couple of wheel manufatures and TEIN to see if they could give me any feedback. I am really hoping to have my car on coils and wheels by summer.
    Last edited by Trentimus; 11-02-2012 at 07:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

The offset fitment should be the same as the 9th gen Civic. I can tell you now that with a 18x8 setup with stretched 215 tires the offset is way too weak.

I think you will need at least 9-9.5 inch wide wheels if you want to get closer to being flush. What kinda stance and fitment are you looking for? Any examples?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
    The offset fitment should be the same as the 9th gen Civic. I can tell you now that with a 18x8 setup with stretched 215 tires the offset is way too weak.
    It was kind of a shot in the dark. What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by ILX-Fan View Post
    I think you will need at least 9-9.5 inch wide wheels if you want to get closer to being flush. What kinda stance and fitment are you looking for? Any examples?
    I am not gonna roll the fenders and I am not gonna put the car on top of the rim. I am aiming for a close to flush look.. The only thing I can reference is my old Cobra where I could get tires that fit the rim w/o going over and without stretching, was still dropped 2.25 inches and didn't have rub. I'll search around some civic forums and see what I can't scrounge up.

Thanks guys.

These look to be 18" wheels.. where I found them there was no specifics on this or that.

ILX1.jpg
    ILX2.jpg

After examining the photos.. they definitely got some beefy tires to fit; so I retract my "215" statement

It looks like with that set-up.. you might need to roll the fenders though.. but I wouldn't mind being like half an inch taller or stretching the tires a bit there.

I'll be on TEIN's by spring and am looking a 17x8 set up nothing crazy . I'm also researching Wilwood and Baer for brake kits

It's worth the do! I can tell our suspension is too soft for hard driving; I put her through some mild turns.. not the worst though; you can tell she is light on her feet! I feel like the brakes are really good, man.. I might hold off til you get some more miles on the brakes or more power.

I agree ; I missed the last autoX of the season do to work but plan on an early 2013 session next year hopefully lowered on some TEIN's and with a set of RE-11's

Quote Originally Posted by Trentimus View Post
    It's worth the do! I can tell our suspension is too soft for hard driving; I put her through some mild turns.. not the worst though; you can tell she is light on her feet! I feel like the brakes are really good, man.. I might hold off til you get some more miles on the brakes or more power.
    or even better, performance pads. those alone will help. even slotted/drilled rotors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.