LED conversion and Bulb sizes

+ Reply to Thread

LED conversion and Bulb sizes

Well, like is said earlier I got my order of LEDs but the swap was not as smooth as it was with my old teg.
    I got started with the map lights, Acura was thoughtful enough to make these LEDs already but I wanted to change them to red to match the 2.4 L red gauges. (Also for usefulness, red light does not disrupt your night vision). I snapped them out with a small flat screwdriver. inside you'll find a light diffuser that can be left out to make your lights brighter, too bright. Using the plastic base i cut out a red piece of film. snapped all of it together and gave it a try. I might end up going with a blue instead. Suggestions welcome.
    image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    Then I swapped the ceiling light. This is a DE3175 bulb per Honda, I used a 3022 white LED.
    License plate 2x(194) lights are easy, there is an arrow pointing to where the housing needs to be pushed. after it snaps it takes some wiggling to get them out but don't pull too much, the leads don't have much slack. The trunk light (194) is a bit tricky, there is a clip on the opposite side of the lead cable, but the plastic is rather flimsy. I'd recommend sticking you finger through one of the holes and pushing down on it to help it out. ( the sheet metal is sharp).
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg

The foot well light housing does not come apart, snap it out of the lower dashboard and twist the cable. I was going with red LEDs (74) but they turned out to be 1/16 of an inch too long so I couldn't get them to close. The reverse lights are rather dim at least in the back-up screen, I got some high power LEDs (921) but the socket is a bit tight and the bulb didn't quite sit all the way down. You can see in the picture the OEM bulb has a long base. You can fit a standard 194 wedge bulb here but they won't be as bright. I'm not going to replace the quarter lights yet because we don't have clear corners, so it defeats the purpose and I'm not ready to deal with hyper blinking just yet. The fogs are H11, still looking for a perfect color fit (silverstar ultras won't come even close to the HIDs) so I might go HID here. DRLs are HB3 or 9005. Don't know what the difference is, the silverstars fit, but again not a good choice and I'm not so sure HIDs can be used as DRLs because of the lower voltage. Has anybody tried yet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

image_5.jpg
    Here is the picture that was left out.

I did this earlier with my license plate lights and couldn't get to them from the outside so i took the panel that covers the trunk lid on the inside and got to them much easier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Red map light is a unique touch, definitely not something everyone will like, will be a hate it or love it sort of thing. In a way it almost looks "OEM"

Thanks for taking time to make this and sharing it with us on her. Gonna do it as well when i get a chance

HRK
    Can you show a picture of the led bulbs you used for the tag? Thanks!

What tag are you referring to?

If you want to replace a bulb with LED just take your stock bulb out and see what socket it is. Or just look at your owners manual and see the socket. You just need a find a LED bulb with the matching socket. Also measure to see what is the largest bulb you can fit in there and order the right bulb to fit.

Thanks for taking time to do this!

looks like i can use the drls from my 8thcivic fog lights too but nahh i'll buy new set

Quote Originally Posted by Piguo1 View Post
    Well, like is said earlier I got my order of LEDs but the swap was not as smooth as it was with my old teg.
    I got started with the map lights, Acura was thoughtful enough to make these LEDs already but I wanted to change them to red to match the 2.4 L red gauges. (Also for usefulness, red light does not disrupt your night vision). I snapped them out with a small flat screwdriver. inside you'll find a light diffuser that can be left out to make your lights brighter, too bright. Using the plastic base i cut out a red piece of film. snapped all of it together and gave it a try. I might end up going with a blue instead. Suggestions welcome.
    image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    Then I swapped the ceiling light. This is a DE3175 bulb per Honda, I used a 3022 white LED.
    License plate 2x(194) lights are easy, there is an arrow pointing to where the housing needs to be pushed. after it snaps it takes some wiggling to get them out but don't pull too much, the leads don't have much slack. The trunk light (194) is a bit tricky, there is a clip on the opposite side of the lead cable, but the plastic is rather flimsy. I'd recommend sticking you finger through one of the holes and pushing down on it to help it out. ( the sheet metal is sharp).
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg

The foot well light housing does not come apart, snap it out of the lower dashboard and twist the cable. I was going with red LEDs (74) but they turned out to be 1/16 of an inch too long so I couldn't get them to close. The reverse lights are rather dim at least in the back-up screen, I got some high power LEDs (921) but the socket is a bit tight and the bulb didn't quite sit all the way down. You can see in the picture the OEM bulb has a long base. You can fit a standard 194 wedge bulb here but they won't be as bright. I'm not going to replace the quarter lights yet because we don't have clear corners, so it defeats the purpose and I'm not ready to deal with hyper blinking just yet. The fogs are H11, still looking for a perfect color fit (silverstar ultras won't come even close to the HIDs) so I might go HID here. DRLs are HB3 or 9005. Don't know what the difference is, the silverstars fit, but again not a good choice and I'm not so sure HIDs can be used as DRLs because of the lower voltage. Has anybody tried yet?
    Don't mean to reply to an old post, but how exactly do you take out the footwell lights for replacement? I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly and not breaking it. Above it says to snap it out of the lower dashboard and twist the cable...so pop the oval light up and literally twist it around? Thanks for any help in advance.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.