Foglight bulb replacement

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Foglight bulb replacement

Foglight bulb replacement

Anyone do this yet? Also what's the easiest way? A quick visual looks like the bottom is the easiest, but haven't jacked it up yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Quite a few people have replaced the fog lights. You don't need to do anything special for just the bulb. You don't need to remove the bumper. The owner's manual shows what needs to be done. There is a hole directly under the fog light with a screw in it. You unscrew that with a phillips I believe, the screw has a retainer so it doesn't fall out. You just keep unscrewing until you can feel the screw is loose when you push up on it.

Then, the manual shows you that you need to slip a flat head screw driver in a small notch in the black housing right where the fog light lens is. There is no special tab inside, its just a hole to give you leverage. You try to pry the black plastic housing off. There are about 4-5 tabs holding the outer edges of the housing in place. Prying it per instruction should only get you to undo 1 or 2 of the tabs. The rest you have to try to undo yourself in whatever way you can. Some of them come out easily, others not so much. Just try to be fairly easy on it since it seems like you can break the plastic tabs if you are too rough.

The manual then instructs you to remove the coupler/connector, then the bulb, but I found it much easier to just remove the bulb first (you need to twist the bulb to unlock it, then pull it out), then you can easily remove the coupler.

Then you just reverse the process.
    Last edited by Shigatsu; 06-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    dbsmith likes this.

lol...manual...I should look at that?

Seriously though, I did a quick search and found the instructions on how to replace the whole housing, so what you are saying makes sense. Remove the black plastic cover for the foglight area to replace the bulb. That's gonna be easier than removing a bunch of plastic or inner fender liner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I should note removing the black cover just reveals an opening on the side/back of the fog light assembly which gives you access to the bulb.

But yeah, I think a lot of people got confused with certain online instructions calling for removing the bumper or something complicated like that which is necessary for changing out the assembly.

Installing all new foglights is significantly more work but if you look at your foglight housing there is a screw hole closest to the wheels on each side respectively.. it will allow you to slight just the inner housing out and replace the bulb. It's pretty easy and it's also in your driver's manual under "Lighting" or something like that.

Yeah, I peeked at the manual. Easy thing to do, 1 screw and pull the cover off, then 2 screws to loosen the light and pull the bulb. Thanks guys! LEDs are so much nicer looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzu View Post
    Yeah, I peeked at the manual. Easy thing to do, 1 screw and pull the cover off, then 2 screws to loosen the light and pull the bulb. Thanks guys! LEDs are so much nicer looking.
    What kind of LED's did you get Guinzu? I was thinking about that too.

68 SMD LED bulbs. 6k color so they match the 6k HID bulbs I swapped to. I'll get a pic of them on.

Last edited by Guinzu; 06-29-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzu View Post
    68 SMD LED bulbs. 6k color so they match the 6k HID bulbs I swapped to. I'll get a pic of them on.

Lookin good! Did you need to install load resistors or rewiring? Can you share the website link?

Guinzu! You have Crimson Garnet Red! If you don't mind, can you get more sexy shots of your car and post it on this thread:

http://www.ilxforums.com/forum/14-ac...to-thread.html

There are so many brown, silver, white, black, and polished metal ILXs out there... I still haven't seen much owner shot pics of Crimson Red ILXs floating around. It would be much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.