Caliper Covers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Caliper Covers

Anyone have any tips for caliper covers on a ILX? Never installed them before but i'm looking to try them out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

I would think twice. Covering a caliper is not a good idea since when breaking the get pretty hot, keeping them covered could slow the cooling and cause breaking to be real inconsistant and even cause fade and premature wear.

If you decide to do it good luck but I would spend the money elsewhere. If you want to change the color just sand and paint the calipers.

Caliper covers require taking off the stock cover and replacing it with the new aftermarket caliper. No worry about damaging your brakes if you buy the cover made for them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

My tip would be to not do it =p

I believe they are just usually held in my screws.

They are not a good idea if you track your car but on a street car it should be fine.

It is kind of cheesy though.

Go for it OP. Covers aren't as cheap as painting your silver calipers red in my opinion.

And no one tracks their ILX.

I think everyone assumes these covers will cover all existing hardware. It requires you take the existing cover off and replace with aftermaket cover. He isn't adding anything not already there.

Not sure anyone is making them for our ILX but then again Im sure brakes all come in specific sizing so if you know the right size you should be gold.

I wouldnt say no one tracks their ILX maybe they haven't seen tracks yet, but mine will be driven and sometimes driven hard.

I most likely will take more car to streets, horsetheif mile, Fontana's infield (almost every car Ive owned has seen a track at some point..LOL)

Thats one of the great things about the ILX is its jekyll and hide personality... for the owners that want to VIP or show it up its nice and classy it has a great base to start with for the owners like myself who are more inclined to take runs to the canyon here and there and visit a track a few times a year a few mods and it will be great at that too.

After googling those covers I would not do it (just my opinion) but its up to the OP of course I just think they look silly.

Good Luck though either way!

This car isn't track worthy. Sorry. Just my opinion.

You have track cars; and daily drivers that can be taken to the track.
    A track car would not start as a luxury model. Sure they can for race teams with funding. But an average individual doesn't take an economic platform with 15grand in luxuries and turn it into a track car. That's just dumb.

These are daily drivers. Sure they can be driven hard, sure they can taken to track days. But that doesn't make them a track queen.

Lol who said anything about track queen? I don't recall saying I'm building a dedicated track car, which would not be as hard as you make it out to be. You do realize Fits, Civics, integras and etc are very capable track cars that for the most part started out as commuter cars. I'm sorry but your ideals are out of wack when it comes to going to the track, I've seen instructors track their Cherokee and run better lap times then yuppies in corvettes. Tracking a car is just that taking your car to the track and learning its limits and bettering your time with each lap. Go to the track one day and I bet your mind changes on what can be tracked and whatnot. If it was dumb then why put a2.4 liter Vtec motor in it just leave the 2.0 and call it a day. I bought this car because my wife liked it better than the Si and I would rather have her happy and I liked the front fascia and HIDs better then the Si. But at 30 lbs heavier than the Si why would it be so bad to track it? Is it dumb for Sis to be tracked too.

Don't take it the wrong way whatever you do with your car is up to you but to make blanket statements like that is somewhat narrow minded. Turning this car into a capable track car would take nothing more than fixing the soft suspension, adding a rear sway bar, upgrading the brake pads and fluid and you'd be good to go. The ilx may have some luxury items leather upholstery, heated seats, and whatever other features you think make it a luxury car, but its really just a compact car with a very capable motor and some added luxury features (which nowadays all cars even sports cars have most the features the ilx does. I only paid a few grand more than the Si and got HIDs, leather and a car that I liked the design better than the civic Si but its no TL, RLX or anything.

Don't take it the wrong way I'm not mad at what you said or anything, I simply disagree. Did you get the 2.4Lor 2L version? Maybe that's where the difference of opinion is because I see the 2.0 version specially in automatic firm a little more difficult to make into a fun track able car?

Sorry about the long post and again not trying to bash or anything just stating why I disagree with your statement is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ilxluv View Post
    This car isn't track worthy. Sorry. Just my opinion.

You have track cars; and daily drivers that can be taken to the track.
    A track car would not start as a luxury model. Sure they can for race teams with funding. But an average individual doesn't take an economic platform with 15grand in luxuries and turn it into a track car. That's just dumb.

These are daily drivers. Sure they can be driven hard, sure they can taken to track days. But that doesn't make them a track queen.
    Just finished installing race pads and coilovers, and a full exhaust on the 08 TL-S 6 speed. Waiting on the tires and stainless steel lines and motor mounts.

Gutted the rear and good to go! Who needs rear seats? Pffftttt

Planning to hit up some AutoX and circuit tracks this summer for the hell of it.

The RSX is a luxury sports coupe. There are many track RSX cars. And I know a few race teams that use the TSX as race cars. Never say never. I actually see a few RSX and TSX's on the race track. I have seen people drop huge money in to the CSX-S to make it a dedicated track car. Ever heard of the FD2-R?

Acuras are Hondas on the inside. If you don't think Hondas can be track cars you need to visit Japan my friend.

Apart from the lack of an LSD I don't see why the ILX can't be a track car. And adding a LSD is not that hard.

People do what they want with the car.

The lightweight chassis and high revving high output 2.4L motor in the ILX makes it a great starting point for a track car. The K24 has huge potential for power in both n/a and boost.

Last edited by cfrp; 06-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.