For the 2.0 drivers that are ready to start tuning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

For the 2.0 drivers that are ready to start tuning.

With the r18 and the r20 being very similar engines. r18 being 1.8 liter r20 being 2.0
    R20 also has longer rods and crank but is essenitally the same engine.

With that said...
    Full-Race Civic R18 Turbo Kit FAQ | Full-Race.com

Full-Race Civic R18 Turbo Kit FAQ

If you are seriously considering forced induction on your R18 - read this FAQ. It was written to help answer many common questions, and discuss the special attributes that make the R-series engines from Honda great for boost. If there is something you need to know not listed, please email [email protected] and we'll help. The information contained herein has taken years of hard work from many smart people to compile. If you are serious about turbocharging your car, and do not yet understand turbochargers, Full-Race highly recommends reading these two books to get prepared for boost.
    ■"Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell
    ■"Street Turbocharging" by Mark Warner - (Full-Race contributed to this book)

R-Series Engines

Honda Motor company designed the lightweight low-friction "R-Series engines" for excellent fuel efficiency/MPG, low emissions, and long life. Found in 2006+ non-Si Civics (R18) and international Accords and CRVs (R20), the R-series cylinder head features an integrated exhaust manifold for maximum exhaust heat energy and "fast catalytic converter warmup". The downside to this cylinder head design is poor "All-Motor" Naturally-Aspirated power ... However, the upside of this design from a performance enthusiast perspective is it's perfect for a turbokit: the increased heat energy which normally helps to warm up the cat faster - now helps spool the turbo faster (which is just fine by us turbo honda afficionados).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Glad to know the R-Series engine is turbo friendly, not that I had the impression it wasn`t, just that this information sheds some light on the subject and might be inspiration to look into it.

Now I just wonder what boost range we`ll be safe at if we want to make an R-series honda a fun daily that`ll be reliable?

Theres no doubt that the R20 is reliable but that depends how much power your running when going with force induction. I'd probably say that the R20 would be good for about a shy of 400hp and if anymore you would have to do some reinforcing. Such better head studs, valves, retainers and possibly even sleeves. It's only a matter of time till someone complains about the hp their ILX and goes with an aftermarket turbo kit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Acura ILX Forum
    Advertisements

Why would they make a turbo kit for the R motors, Is there a market?

How much boost can that motor take without blowing up?

Of course there is a market. Anyone with the 2.4 ilx or civic si has an R series they want to tune.
    2.4 seems to be better run NA and the 2.0 is more boost friendly.

That write up is explaining why the 2.0 R will take more boost than a 2.4 K. Exactly how much isnt known since its namely just average people boosting them that dont have the means to dyno before and after or the luxury of blowing an engine to see how far itll go.

I would be interested in some more horsepower for my ILX but probably not turbo. I would be more interested in a supercharger, Form what ive seen in the past for the TSX owners there was more of a market for superchargers vs turbos. I think theres a bit more support too. I want a more linear power range rather than lag and then all of a sudden everything at once. Depends on the tune too but I think for me around 280-300hp would be enough.

I would assume if you had an automatic R20 your transmission would blow well before you hit boost levels that your block and internals will sustain.

From what I read on other forums about the civics with boost, any tranny in the 8th gen would only be able to hand 350hp. Depends too, with an automatic transmission It would just get too confused.

You can tune an auto tranny as just a manual. If you get it tuned you can change the shift points to push a much more efficient run.
    350hp sounds fantastic. Im game. You wont be able to do much with all that power anyhow.

im wondering about the innercooler not getting enough air.. the front end of the ilx has no mouth..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member Yet? Please Register Now.

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Already a Member? Please Log-in.