Acura ILX Forums banner

2013 2.0 Tech PMM Progress Thread: Luxury to VIP

34K views 59 replies 9 participants last post by  ilxluv 
#1 ·
Well the work isn't very far under way at all yet. But I'd like to have a log of what I have done in the order I have done it with pictures along the way.

I purchased my 2013 2.0 tech in Polished Metal Metallic after much deliberation. I originally went in with the idea of trading my 1994 Integra in for a PMM ILX 2.4. They didn't have the 2.4 in PMM so I test drove the black one. I honestly felt it was more than I needed. I didn't like how quickly I was tossing the car through gears; it was going to make daily driving a task each and every stop light. If the gearing wasn't so close it may be a different story but the 2.4 has a pretty damn sporty 6-speed and I just wasnt feeling a race car again. I made a comment or two and the salesman I think good the idea. Inside I wanted a K series over the R series so I was set on the 2.4.

The salesman came back with pricing for the 2.4 with the options I wanted and to see if he could locate a PMM 2.4. He couldn't find a PMM 2.4 but he got prices for the 2.0 tech in PMM that they had on the lot and they would give a good deal for if I was interested. So I took the 2.0 tech for a spin where the salesman showed me the upgraded system, the homelink, and navigation. Coming from a 1994 Integra I was in AW over these luxuries. I owned a small little race car that sat 4 inches off the ground with a sunroof as its best luxury. Ive been in new Civics and even new Accords but this just felt top of the line... it was like being in a tsx or a tl without the wood grain. The salesman was a honda/acura guy so he explained the difference in the R series VS K series. I didnt know much of anything about the R and I didn't even realize that this K wasn't the same K as the RSX/Integra. He told me the R tends to be a bit more torque heavy in respects to its power output and its a great engine to turbo. After enjoying my drive in the 2.0 and realizing I was leaning toward VIP builds in the later years of my Integra; and Automatic might be the perfect start for a VIP inspired build.

So I came home that day with a brand new 2013 2.0 tech in the exact color I wanted. I was happy.

The day I brought her home next to my integra before I started washing her then send her off.

Real quick run down of the Integra.
Bought the car like this:

Sold the car like this:

Sold her for $500 less than I paid minus the initial registration fees.
I owned it through school so modding wasnt too intensive. Just bolt-ons that I probably shouldn't have even done while paying my way through school.

Sold her for the down payment on my ILX.

Like I said I leased her for the next 36 months while it builds my credit. Then I will refinance her and start financing till shes completely mine. Leasing was a great option for me because if I choose to trade in for any reason I can wave a certain amount of damages and over mileage fees if I stay with Acura... which I would. Payments are as bad either.

This is her "stock".
Factory installed splash guards, all season mats, wheel locks, first aid kit, yada-yada.

Small cosmetic change. Yellow fog covers before upgrading the bulbs.

With the oe bulbs the color is far more noticeable with the fogs off than on.

Aftermarket yellow bulbs from iJDMtoy would DEFINITELY change that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Some shots I enjoy. These are after I tinted the front side windows to match the rears. The place I go to sells tint in a way that makes for all the soccer moms to tint their vans and lifted SUV/trucks. It's a 4, 5 being limo and 0 being no tint.

I'll end this post with the photochops I have done to get some ideas going for myself and others. Keep in mind wheel specs are not exact unless I matched the wheel size up with the stock wheels.

Rotiform BLQ in gunmetal tinted lights and color matched grill.

Lowered, spacers, yellow fogs, black gloss grill.

BBS LMs in gunmetal.

Just lowered.

Volk RE30s in silver.

Then bronze.

#3 ·

Work Emotion kai in white.

BBS Super RS... only ones I've not liked so far. May just be the color.

Work Euroline SL polished.

Work Meisters in gloss black.

Modular VX110 in silver with polished lips.

And the 3 17in wheels I did.

Work Meisters again but with a polished lip.

Desmond Rega Evos in almighty grey.

Polished CCWs. Forgot the face design.

#4 ·
Finally, my first... and to date (7/28/13) only performance mod.

Installing these was a nightmare. Not like either time swapping suspensions on my Integra. The Civics, and I guess the ILX, share an issue with axles that don't like to remain seated. My driver side axle popped out of place during the install which created a horrible sound at low speed driving. Garaged the car over night at my friends house where we were doing the install and had to get a lift to work the next day. After work got back working on my car. Patience got the axle bearing seated properly. There were three bearings so it took a lot of moving around and patience upon patience to get it back in. Did I mention it took a TON of patience? Cause it did.
After that it took some arm strength to get the CV boot back to its proper position and everything was good again.

With the new H&R Springs.

#5 ·
Now it was time for something cosmetic to set me apart.

Enter the STI lip.
I took the front lip from an STI and retrofitted it to my ilx by simply trimming down the back ends to match up with the bumper and redrilled mounting points into the bumper to match with stock mounting points under the bumper. I ended up drilling three screws into the underside of the bumper (on plastic trim areas underneath, no painted surfaces were ruined) just to make sure it wasnt falling off.
In the end I suppose it does slightly act as a splitter and force more air over the hood of the car than previously possible, but I see it as more cosmetic than anything.

Attempted to change my grill up. I didn't like the end results so I took it off.

This is plastidip smoke. So its not completely black but almost there.

Then the first pictures of my Cream plastidipped oem wheels.

I saw a VIP inspired VW in a similar color with cream merc wheels and I loved the contrast so I went for it.
Soon after that before any other shots I took the front plate off.

The wheels are matte so in different lighting they change color drastically.

#6 ·
Found a peacock!

And a smashed Audi.

All while out taking pictures of my car and this was the only decent shot..

I didn't edit it because I wasn't happy with it.

Here we go!

Second one has a chopped background. FarCry anyone?

Fast forward to today. 7/28
The plastidip has been taken off. I messed up one of them on accident and didnt do a great job covering one wheel on the opposite side so I just took all 4 off.
Also had a run in with an officer. Great guy; turned my 20+mph over speeding ticket into a front window tint and no front plate fix-it ticket. So now the front plate is back on.

Only reason I got the ticket was because of the reckless driving. It was a secluded 2 lane road both ways with no traffic or cross streets but I understand. If it was any more dangerous I doubt he would have let me off. Also, he saw my Oak Tree Gun Club rear plate frame. When he asked where the fire was I said "Hopefully not where I'm headed. I'm on my way to Oak Tree Gun Club, they just had a fire last week due to some jerk with a tracer round."
I figure due to my knowledge of recent events at the range and my rear plate he asked if I worked there. I told him I'm the warehouse supervisor at which point any officer immediately tells me what gun he is looking for... he wants an XD-45. I told him if he likes Springfield he should check out the 1911 operators. AWESOME GUNS. He then made small talk with me for about a half hour. In the end, we have 26 precincts that train in our facility. HIS precinct, LAPD, owns a small range on our property. No officer wants to cite someone that MAY OR MAY NOT give them a law enforcement discount on firearms and ammo.

I'll probably take the plate back off and throw the tint back on in a month or two after the ticket is written off. I just need to watch my speeds and take it slow.

I'm going to end this post, the start to my progress/build thread, with a list I have compiled of future mods. The order is pretty specific too. I may throw some suspension upgrades here and there with the motor parts but the cosmetics will be pretty much saved for the end. Anywhere I only have one manufacturer listed I will be doing more research to find other options to compare and contrast. That's the only way to assure you buy quality parts.

Motor:
intake - spectre/blow/aem/injen/fujita/art
downpipe - megan
exhaust - magnaflow custom 2.5-2.75/vibrant/megan to turn down
intake manifold - weaponR
intake revamp - blox/heatwrap/spectre
throttle body and spacer - p2r/maxbore
Then Finally FlashPro! And lots of weight reduction.

Suspension:
wheels tbd
coilover or bags tbd
rear sway bar - eibach/asr
subframe brace - asr/custom
camber kit - asr
rear bracing - cusco/custom
brake kit from a TL

Cosmetic:
white reverse lights and plate lights but I want halogens. LEDs are obnoxious in my opinion
white drls - halogen so i dont lose my high beams
fog bulbs - yellow non hid
debadge maybe
vinyl gloss black roof AND fin
smoked rear lights
full oe kit and new retrofitted front lip
vip parts - jp/dad/custom

The future after my lease will hold an air suspension and turbo set up. It'll always be daily driven but I have been one to enjoy builds where function meets form on a balanced playing ground. So far I have put roughly $200 into performance and roughly $125 including tint into cosmetics so I'm on a good balanced path. It wont be a race car but it wont be a show car. It'll be a blend of both worlds. It'll be what I want and chances are some of you simply wont like it. Constructive criticism is always wanted and appreciated!!

#8 ·
haha I wish I had more free time. Between friends and works I have no time to do my own things like draw read watch new releases or play games. Im playing farcry3 for my second time and loving it all over again.
And thank you for the kind words. I myself cant wait for future mods. Ive got some ish to pay for but once thats over the modding will start.

#10 ·
Ill have to give it a try. Sadly I just dont have the time to play everything I want.
With Saints Row, GTA, Splinter Cell, and Assassins Creed all coming out soon I wont have time to get through half of them before the new year.

Aside from the stack of books I have building in my collection that I really want to read as well as 2 stories in the works and some illustrations Ive been owing my buddy so he can push his novel forward to get published. AND ALL I WANT TO DO IS SLEEP AND SHOOT MY KIMBER!!

#14 ·
Thank you sir.
OEM kit isnt until MUCH FURTHER down the road if at all. Being $350 for a good price on the front lip alone is highway robbery... same for the rear and the side skirts are even more!! That shit cray.
And honesty I dont think it looks that great. I really only want it because you cant have a VIP car without a lip kit.

And I agree on the wheels. Im waiting for tax season. I see between 1-2grand with tax returns so I'll have to add some cash on top then itll all go toward some sick wheels.

#16 ·
what wheels do you have in mind?

OEM lip kits are always expensive. But you get good fitment and OEM quality paint. So I guess it's worth it in the end.
The way I see it, good OEM kits went for $200 with the integra depending on how much the seller felt he could get in their area.
But those are FULL lips, not just corner valances AND they are discontinued products you cant find new anymore. Acura can push out a new ilx front lip whenver they want. Two pieces of plastic both smaller than my forearm is NOT worth $350 before shipping and any installation or even hardware.
Only plus side is the OEM paint job but in the end its a front lip. Its going to get so mangled it wont be OEM paint after a year. The front lip on my ilx is already pretty damn beat up.

Wheels wise Im looking at the Rotiform BLQ and Work Euroline SL. I posted chops for both of those and I recently fell in love with the following wheels.
The rotiforms actually come in 5x114 so they'll be much easier to fit.

Another chop.
3sdm 0.05
EDM wheels so they only come in 5x100 5x112 & 5x120

#21 ·
any engine mods planned?
Oh you guys. Of course I have performance mods planned. What do you think Im like all the rest of these so called "tuners"?
I assume you missed my long ass list on the first page so I'll quote it.
I'm going to end this post, the start to my progress/build thread, with a list I have compiled of future mods. The order is pretty specific too. I may throw some suspension upgrades here and there with the motor parts but the cosmetics will be pretty much saved for the end. Anywhere I only have one manufacturer listed I will be doing more research to find other options to compare and contrast. That's the only way to assure you buy quality parts.

Motor:
intake - spectre/blow/aem/injen/fujita/art
downpipe - megan
exhaust - magnaflow custom 2.5-2.75/vibrant/megan to turn down
intake manifold - weaponR
intake revamp - blox/heatwrap/spectre
throttle body and spacer - p2r/maxbore
Then Finally FlashPro! And lots of weight reduction.

Suspension:
wheels tbd
coilover or bags tbd
rear sway bar - eibach/asr
subframe brace - asr/custom
camber kit - asr
rear bracing - cusco/custom
brake kit from a TL

Cosmetic:
white reverse lights and plate lights but I want halogens. LEDs are obnoxious in my opinion
white drls - halogen so i dont lose my high beams
fog bulbs - yellow non hid
debadge maybe
vinyl gloss black roof AND fin
smoked rear lights
full oe kit and new retrofitted front lip
vip parts - jp/dad/custom

The future after my lease will hold an air suspension and turbo set up. It'll always be daily driven but I have been one to enjoy builds where function meets form on a balanced playing ground. So far I have put roughly $200 into performance and roughly $125 including tint into cosmetics so I'm on a good balanced path. It wont be a race car but it wont be a show car. It'll be a blend of both worlds. It'll be what I want and chances are some of you simply wont like it. Constructive criticism is always wanted and appreciated!!

#22 ·
This would be a more accurate order Id say...

First before car mods:
Speeding ticket
Tint ticket and removal then reapply. haha
GTA5 and either SaintsRow4, AC: Black Flag, or Splinter Cell.
New timepiece and shoes.

Weight reduction will be done wherever I see fit without giving up luxuries.

Then in order:
SRI/CAI & downpipe
wheels
coilovers
exhaust
heat wrapping and possibly a velocity stack
intake manifold
throttle body & TB spacer
Then Finally FlashPro & a tune.
rear sway bar & subframe brace
camber kit & rear bracing
brake kit from a TL

Done randomly whenever I choose:
white reverse lights and plate lights. white drls. yellow fog light bulbs... all when I randomly decide.
debadge maybe
vip and some other dress up shit

Then at the end when I have nothing else I really want:
vinyl gloss black roof & smoked rear lights
full oe kit & new retrofitted front lip

Also will be purchasing a new lower receiver to start a new AR build as well as a Springfield .45 1911 MC Operator and a .22 or 9mm slide conversion kit from a company I haven't looked up yet.
I'm not sure when this will be. Probably after the wheels at some point possibly but before I get to the flashpro and tune.

#27 ·
Not sure yet. Exhaust wont be until after I get some wheels and whatever I need for them to fit properly.
I wont say anything else until now. Not sure about the route I'll take and would rather keep some cards hidden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.